Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  Specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

I am a 46 year old woman and had a uti in August. Although

Customer Question

I am a 46 year old woman and had a uti in August. Although I have no infection my bladder is sore and painful. I suffer with severe health anxiety over it . Can you give any reassurance that it probably isn't cancer. My doctor feels that it might be ic ibroprofen doesn't seem to be helping.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I look forward to working with you.
Cancer of the bladder typically presents and a person with a long history of smoking and blood in the urine. It typically does not present as pain in the bladder. Your symptoms do not sound like you have cancer of the bladder. It certainly sounds like you may have interstitial cystitis instead. You need to see a urologist to see if they can help treat this for you. Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I forgot to mention I have had my urine checked initially and it did contain blood. The next two times I got it checked it did not. Recently I I had the mirena fitted the gp checked my urine no infection showed up but there was blood in my urine but I presumed this was from my period which was sort of due. 2weeks later I am still spotting do you think this blood is more likely to come from bladder or uterus.My urine is yellow and the blood tends to be when I wipe with the occasional clot in the toilet basin. Sorry for the level of detail but I am really stressed about it. Does IC cause a lot of pain as I don't feel like doing much.
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 3 years ago.
Yes, untreated interstitial cystitis can cause lots of pain and make you feel the way you do. It sounds to me like you probably have interstitial cystitis.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sorry could you respond over my first point of sometimes having blood in urine and sometimes not.if it was cancer
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 3 years ago.
Yes, blood can be intermittent in the presence of cancer. But your other symptoms do not point to cancer. If you have risk factors for smoking, that your doctor needs to work you up for cancer as well.