Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience:  MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.
8708167

I have Peyronnies disease since two years (penis is bent

I have Peyronnies disease since two years (penis is bent upwards and to the left). Can you tell me if there is any way of suring it. I am still sexually active but aged 68 I manage to climax but it is difficult since the penis is short, and rubs on one side causing sometimes a lezion. regards ***** *****

Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Tharun :

hi

Dr. Tharun :

Do you have pain during erections ?

Dr. Tharun :

Do you smoke ?

Dr. Tharun :

Are you diabetic ?

Dr. Tharun :

Have you tried verapmil injections ? Any other medications apart from Vitamin E ?

HI

Please give some more info about your problem and I will try to answer your question.

Dr.Tharun

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Pain in erection - No

smoke - no & never have

diabetic - no

Vit E only - nothing else

What is verapmil ?

HI Christopher,
Painful bending of the penis is usually associated with some scar in the penis which makes it less elastic than rest of the penis. So when erection occurs, this plaque / scar acts like a bow string and curves the penis to its side.
There is still lot of debate regarding its origin.This is a rare disorder and treatment is still evolving.There are multiple modalities to treat this disorder. The most common is combination of penile injections (verapamil) and oral drugs like Tamoxifen, colchicine, Vitamin E, Arginine etc.
The most popular is verapmil injection. The drug is injected into the penis where the plaques can be felt. This is done on a weekly basis for 6 weeks. If it shows promising results then it can be further continued.Verapamil is a calcium channel blocker which dissolutes the plaque. Many patients have shown improvement with this modality.
Vacuum therapy is available which is combined with shock waves to disintegrate the hard plaque. Last option is surgery where the hard plaque is excised and this corrects the bend.
I would advise you to see your urologist and discuss these treatment options with him. You should take a second opinion if the present urologist is not willing to go beyond Vitamin E which has got only minimal benefits.
Please let me know if you have any questions.
Dr.Tharun
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Many thanks for this info.

I need to investigate how to proceed - I am English

but live in the middle of France.

I will investigate the verapamil option.

Am I able to speak to you in due course ?

HI
You can opt to see another urologist who is more versed with treating this condition. You can ask your current urologist to suggest one or try to find one of your own.
You can always come back to the site & ask your question to me.
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-tharun/