Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  Specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

Does citalopram cause permanent erectile dysfunction or are

Does citalopram cause permanent erectile dysfunction or are the effects only temporary with patients returning to their original function?
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 2 years ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I look forward to working with you.

How long have you been on the citalopram?

Do yuo have any other medical problems or take any other medications?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Doctor i used only 10 mg of citalopram for one and a half months for anxiety. I had a bit of erectile dysfunction during this period however since i have stopped the drug my erections have returned successfully to have intercourse successfully. I am taking a little while to get going sometimes however this also occurred occasionally before the antidepressants. Does it sound like the drug has had a permanent effect even though i only took for this short time? Or am i simply reading into nothing!

thanks

Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 2 years ago.
I think you are reading into nothing. Once the drug is out of your system, it can take a few months to completely return to normal. it sounds to me like you have already returned to normal. I would not worry about this. Hope this helps.