Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience:  MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.
8708167

Hi for the past 4 days I have been feeling extremely badly:

Customer Question

for the past 4 days I have been feeling extremely badly: it all started with a headache, woke up shivering in the middle of the night, then nausea , exteremely thirsty and dehydrated, then I started urinating very often, now I urunate every half an hour, shivering a lot again, feeling extremely cold and sweating but no fever. I have a pain in my lower back. My doctor sayd it could be a urinary or kidney infection, she is testing my urines. my blood test results in higher haemoglobin, haematocrit and RBC. whicho show signs of dehydration.
I am on antibiotics Co-amoxiclav but do not feel any better.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 2 years ago.
Did you have a abdominal scan ?
Do you have abdominal pain?
Are you diabetic ?
Any pain while passing urine ?
Please let me know.
Dr.Tharun
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No I didn't have an abdominal scan.

yes I have some pain in the lower abdomen, but not much

I am not diabetic

no pain while passing urine

HI
It seems like an urinary infection. As you are already on antibiotics, you have to follow up with urine tests to know what type of infection is it. It will also show which antibiotic is most effective. Accordingly antibiotics can be changed. The next step is changing antibiotics if you are not responding to co -amoxiclav.
Also an abdominal scan would be helpful to know whether there is any swelling in the kidneys or there are kidney stones. Stones can also cause these symptoms.
In the mean time drink plenty of water and cranberry juice which is helpful in such cases. You need to follow up the urine results as soon as it is available and discuss it with your doctor.
If you develop fever, you should probably visit the ER.
If you have any doubts, please let me know.
Dr.Tharun.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I did not develop fever so far but I have been feeling really bad. Now the nausea is gone, although I dont feel like eating. Also my hands and feet are extremely cold and feel awful...how can I get an abdominal scan?

HI
No fever is a good sign.
You can get an abdominal ultrasound scan by either requesting your doctor or going to the ER.
If you are feeling really bad you should go emergency room to make sure everything is fine.
Dr.Tharun
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My back pain developed only yesterday and today, while nausea is gone..is that a sign that my kidneys are involved? or even urinary infection could give lower back pain?

Kidney infection would cause pain in the flank region - that is just below the rib cage in the back. Low back ache is usually not a sign of kidney infection. Infection in the bladder can sometimes give low back ache which is still rare.
Dr.Tharun
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hello

my malaise persists, as well as a little pain in my back and discomfort in my belly. I am urinating less. I had an abdominal scan which showed everything is fine with kidneys but I have a myoma on my uterus which is pressing my bladder, so that might cause the frequent urination. Could that also cause a bladder infection? my urine and blood tests are negative to infection, but I still feel shivery and awful. also the antibiotics was making me feel terrible dizzy, motion sickness, agitated, spaced out, increased heart-rate so i stopped it. what shall I do?

HI

If you don't have an infection and the antibiotics are causing severe side effects ,then antibiotics can be discontinued.
Myoma pressing on the bladder may cause some frequency but infections are rare because of the myoma.
You should also get your thyroid hormone levels checked as low thyroid status can also give such problems.

If the problems persist you should see your doctor again or even consider a second opinion. Keep yourself hydrated in the meanwhile as dehydration was suspected finding in the blood tests.

Dr.Tharun