Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience:  MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.
8708167

6-7 weeks ago pin head bump on epididymis

Customer Question

6-7 weeks ago I went to the dr's about a small pin head sized bump on the connective tissue between the testicle and the tail of the epididymis. The dr checked my testicles and said it was probably something natural. I had the area checked by another dr a couple if weeks later, again the dr checked my testicles but didnt find the area I was describing and explained it could be a cyst, blood vessel or natural. I carried on to worry and visited a dr who said that it sounded like nothing out of the ordinary but sent me for an ultrasound to ease my mind. I had the ultrasound 5 weeks after originally finding the area. The ultrasound found nothing but a 2mm cyst on the epdidymis of the right testicle and a 4mm one of the epididymis of the left. I was also referred to see a therapist as the dr who sent me for the ultrasound found I had symptoms of health anxiety and prescribed me medication to calm me in the meantime. So this may suggest that I am just worrying myself over nothing.
Since my ultrasound I have began to worry if the ultrasound missed this pin head bump, I'm unsure of wether this bump is the 2mm cyst that the ultrasound reported as it feels softer at times but when the scrotum is relaxed it feels a bit more noticeable. When prodded at it feels almost longer and thinner like some artery/vein/blood vessel. Over the 6-7 weeks since I discovered it it doesn't appear to have changed. It may have always been there for all I know as it is quite discreet. I didn't know if it was part of the natural connective tissue between the testicle and tail of epdidymis or a condition not to worry about?
Also if cancerous would I have noticed an obvious change 6-7 weeks later and would an ultrasound have picked it up? Also it's worth mentioning I have no symptoms such as an obvious lump, swelling, lower back pain, abdominal pain, breast tenderness etc.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 2 years ago.
HI

Ultrasound is the best scan to detect any suspicious swelling in the testes , because testis is a superficial organ and very easily accessible to the ultrasound probe.
Clinical examination by self and the doctor can usually detect swellings in the testes. But it is confirmed with an ultrasound examination. So if the ultraound didn't pick any cancerous swelling probably there isn't one.

Cysts are common occurences and they are harmless.Nothing needs to be done unless it is causing any pain or discomfort.

Since you have seen more than one doctor who have cleared you and your ultrasound is normal, You should relax and just take it lightly. It may be just a cyst.

Dr.Tharun
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the information. Woupd it be possible to ask you one or two questions. I have been told that testicular cancer tends to grow quite quickly. After 6-7 weeks would I have found a noticeable change? Also the bump seems a bit tougher than the connective tissue and appears linear when relaxed, would the area connecting the testicles to the epididymis be quite vascular and I could be feeling some kind of vein or vessel?

Yes , testicular cancers have fast doubling time and so it would grow fast.

The epididymis are tubular structures and they will also be felt linear.

Dr.Tharun

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** a cyst ever feel quite tough and grain like if very small? Also what do you think the grain/pinhead like bit on the epididymis could be? Could it be a natural harmless growth? It doesn't feel particularly tender or anything. Also do you mean after 6-7 weeks I would've noticed a change if cancerous?
Sorry about the amount of questioning, as I said in my initial message I have been rendered to a therapist for anxiety disorder so I have been very preoccupied over this for the last couple of months.
HI

Feeling a lump is very subjective and everyone can feel it differently, So we have to rely on ultrasound report.

Cysts are pent up secretions inside the blocked tubes. If very tense they can be felt very hard.
Testicular cancers usually would have increased in size in 6-8 weeks.

Dr.Tharun.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thankyou, just a couple of last questions.
So after 5 weeks of the finding being present the ultrasound would have likely picked up anything serious?
It is relaxing to know that what I found could be the cyst. Tha Khoi for the info that it could be hard.
Do you mean testicular cancer generally increases in size in 6 to 8 weeks or do you mean from the timescale I have you of me finding the bump 6 weeks ago that it would have noticably grown by now? If that makes sense
HI

Testicular cancers definitely grow in 3 months time. So by 6-7 weeks you should have seen some changes at least.

Yes, ultrasound should have picked something serious.

Dr.Tharun
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** informed of the 2mm cyst on my right side epididymis so I imagine it could be that that I am feeling. I wasn't shown the scan though so I have. Never known exactly where the cyst was that the ultrasound found on the epididymis.
Just do a self examination every now and then and report any changes in size to your doctor promptly.

Dr.Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience: MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for this information. I believe as you have suggested that it could be the cyst that was reported. I only thought cysts were soft beforehand. And the information on the timescales of growth have been helpful. Despite numerous doctor examinations and the ultrasound I have remained worried but information from a urologist should help. Thanks.
welcome.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Oh 1 last thing to ask. The bump can be felt through either side of the thin connective tissue like it could be in the tissue, if a cyst would that be possible. Also it may be worth mentioning it feels like a bobbley bump on the bottom end of the testicle but then when pinched between finger and thumb it seems to uncoil almost and appears to be part of the tail of the epidydimis. Not sure if that makes any difference.
Epididymal cysts are at the back of the testis and so can be felt from both sides.

Feeling it could give it lot of perceptions to everyone. Ultrasound would be the uniform one so believe it for the time being. You can repeat the scan once more after some time.

Dr.Tharun
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ah yes it is at the bottom of the testicle and around the back. It seems to be felt at either side of the epdidymis.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'd like to ask just a last 3 questions if that's okay.
As I mentioned before the bump I think I've noticed is on the connective tissue at the bottom of the right testes on the back side on the tissue connecting the tail of the epididymis. Upon further inspection pressing into the tissue beneath it seems beneath the grain sized bump there feels as though there might be a tough rigid feel to it under the tissue maybe half a cm long but its hard to tell. It feels as though this could be on the left epididymis too but I'm not sure. It feels tough and bumpy. This is when I press in to it quite firmly, it doesn't feel particularly sensitive to note. I cannot be sure if its always been like that as the small bump is very discreet and the rough tissue even more so as you have to really press to feel it. I've never given close inspection to anything other than the testes itself until recentley so it may have always been like this.
So 1: does this sound like anything to worry about or would connective tissue feel rigid/a bit bumpy if pinched into firmly?
2: am I correct in saying cancerous tumors on the epididymis are rare?
3: what would I be looking for when examining for anything cancerous on the epidydimis? And would it be more obvious and distinct than what I am describing feeling?
As I mentioned before I had seen a few doctors and had an ultrasound a fortnight ago that detected just a small cyst on the epididymis of each testes and nothing else just to clarify.
Your answer to these 3 questions would be much appreciated. Thank you.
HI

If you keep on looking for things , you will keep finding.

Any tissue if pressed quite firmly will feel a little tight.
Epididymal cancers are really rare.
You feel a lump on the testis, thats all you can feel. You show it to your doctor who can order an ultrasound which will characterize the lump.

Dr.Tharun
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So basically would a cancerous lump feel quite distinct and it would be quite clear it would feel out of the ordinary?
You cannot distinguish a lump cancerous or non cancerous just by feeling it. A lump is a lump which needs further tests to diagnose it. A lump has many differential diagnosis like cyst, calcification, cancer etc.
Dr.Tharun
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ah I see, would I just see a doctor then if there was a distinct lump and/or symptoms. Basically it would be a lot more obvious than what I have described I am feeling?
HI

Yes you should see your doctor if you feel a distinctive lump .

This lump , you have already consulted your doctor. So it should be different from this lump.

Dr.Tharun
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I understand. Plus I had the ultrasound a fortnight ago that came back clear and the bump isn't distinctive, no more than pin head size on the epididymis.
All the best ,take care and have a great new year.
Dr.Tharun