Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  Specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

I was diagonosed with a UTI just after Xmas. After two lots

I was diagonosed with a UTI just after Xmas. After two lots of
Antibiotics I was still having bouts of cystitis like symtons ,
But my flu like state had got considerably better and I had long periods during
The day when I felt ok. However after my last visit to the GP when
All I was offered was bladder training my symptons have got a lot worse with
The urge to pee happening as soon as I have just been followed by a burning sensation
Down below. The pain got so bad last night it was as if someone was drilling
On my bladder, but after holding a hot water bottle over the affected area time the angriness eventually went off. I am worried as the urine sample I gave initially was
Not a mid flow one and that I might not have had a Uti in the first place. I have also been suffering from incontinsnce since this episode began
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
and thanks me to help you today. I look forward to working with you.
May I ask how old you are?
Are you male or female?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am 51 and female
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
Your symptoms sound like they may be consistent with bladder spasms due to a condition called overactive bladder. This is very common in women your age and it can make you feel like you have urinary tract infection type symptoms. I would recommend that your doctor consider putting you on a course of a medication such as oxybutynin to see if this clears up your symptoms. Hope this helps and let me know if you have questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's very helpful . Would that also cause a burning sensation down below after I've passed water and incontinance?
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, those symptoms are very common with overactive bladder.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry to bother you again but I've been reading a lot of things on the internet about bladder cancer . Do you think it would be wise to go to a urologist to rule this out as all the cystitis like symptons these websites describe fit with my current condition. I did have a water test however that came back normal about a week ago , so I assume there was no blood in my water
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
Do you have a history of smoking
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Only briefly when I was in my 20s
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
Then this is likely not bladder cancer. Bladder cancer AAST always presents with blood in the urine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The intense pain I had seemed to be caused by my period. Would this have put extra pressure on my bladder?
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
No, that should not put pressure on your bladder.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried to have a smear test three weeks ago and the nurse couldn't open the speculum because when it hit a certain spot it felt very sore angry and inflamed. This was followed by some incontinance. Would this fit with overactive bladder syndrome?
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, that would be a sign of an overactive bladder.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry to bother u again but went to my GP and had a urine test that found white blood cells and a small trace of blood
In the water. Now I am terrified I have bladder cancer
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
This is most likely not bladder cancer. But you still have the full workup done to rule out any possibility of cancer
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience: Specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.