TheGermDoctor
TheGermDoctor, Physician
Experience:  17 years as a physician, Board Certified in internal medicine and infectious diseases
13956133

During July I had used a sex toy I owned but never shared

Customer Question

During July I had used a sex toy I owned but never shared with

anyone but I had not cleaned it in over a week, I washed it in antiseptic (Dettol) before use. One week later I had unprotected oral sex with someone with a chesty phlegmy cough and she coughed into my penis during oral sex. This person also performed outercourse on me so some of the fluids from her vagina were on my penis. We never had intercourse, at all.

Later that night I noticed a sting in my urethra. No discharge. No pain during urination. I went to my GP, she asked for a urine sample, she said she saw a SLIGHT HINT of blood in the sample, not seen by the eye. Said it was a Urinary Tract Infection. After a week's course of Trimethoprim that did nothing, I went back and was given 14 days of Ciproflaxacin. 10 days in and still nothing.

By then whatever it was, it moved to my right testicle and caused stinging there. I was having a wriggling sensation in Urethra also. Undergone Cystoscopy at some point too, no stricture found. All was normal. I went to the GUM clinic where I was already tested for Chlamydia and Gonorrhea and both came back negative.

I was finally seen by a Urologist who confirmed by suspicion that it was Non-specific Urethritis and was given Minocycline for two weeks. It resolved the issue by day 10. However it returned two days later. I was given Zithromax (Azithromicin) for 6 days. Finished that, did nothing. I had Doxycycline for a week and then that cleared the symptoms finally by early October. No more sting/burn in urethra or testicle.

However what remained was sometimes after excessive masturbation, I would get a shooting pain in urethra. I was told it was most likely left over inflammation.

This has lasted me until January of this year. I had unprotected oral sex start of January. First sexual encounter since the whole ordeal. Wriggling sensation in urethra slightly returned after that. But then rest of January resumed fine.

I excessively masturbated few days ago and then the symptoms have returned (Sting in Urethra / Wriggling sensation). But no pain in testicle. Do you think perhaps this is the same infection that never went away reappearing? New infection? Maybe it was Trich? Inflammation

Category: Urology
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I still need assistance.

Expert:  TheGermDoctor replied 1 year ago.
Did the urologist think you had epididimo-orchitis?
Has he done a scrotal ultrasound?
Do you know if they did any other tests in the GUM clinic aside from chlamydia/ gonorrhea? ( specifically I am thinking about mycoplasma and ureaplasma)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I had scrotal ultrasound, it was normal.

Unfortunately they don't test for anything besides Chlamydia and Gonorrhea here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

However that was what I suspected at the time as well, back when the infection first happened. And Doxycycline did clear the random sting/burn in urethra and testicle

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

If anything, sometimes it feels like when I urinate, and as you know when you urinate you still get some droplets left behind. Since this issue, I've had more droplets i've had to clear after urinating.

Got it-
Well it is hard for me to comment more specifically on you without examining you.
But if I had a similar case I would likely test for mycoplasma and ureaplasma-
There is a commercial test available through Labcorp ( USA if you are in this country) which is a nucleic acid test for these bacteria.
Both not uncommonly can be resistant to doxycycline and azithromycin, and sometimes need Avelox ( much better than Cipro).
If this too were negative and you still had symptoms despite all those antibiotics I would agree with the diagnosis of a non specific, presumably non infectious urethritis- a difficult condition to manage as there are no specific treatments- But something that seeing a urologist again may help.
Good luck
TheGermDoctor, Physician
Experience: 17 years as a physician, Board Certified in internal medicine and infectious diseases
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I was on Cipro initially back in September, 10 days. Did nothing. That was when the Scrotal ultrasound was suggested and returned normal.

If it actually is just left over inflammation and non-infectious, how long does it take to calm down?

Yes I did read above about the Cipro- that is why I commented on it and specifically noted that Avelox is better for these particular organisms. An empiric trial may be helpful- low risk for side effects and may help ( but obviously may not)
If it is non infectious, it generally does improve with time- but can unfortunately take several months.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I appreciate your feedback highly. Well, Doxycycline did end me from my misery initially, no more burning/sting in urethra or testicle.

But i'm going to do the Ureaplasma and Mycoplasma test, just found one online here in the UL.

Thanks Doc.

You are very welcome-
Interestingly a partial response then a relapse from doxy could well mean it was partially active and resistance developed.
I would stand by my recommendations above
Let me know how it turns out
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Even if I never had any sting/pain for nearly three months? Only after excessive vigorous masturbation.

I'm doing a full screen for everything including mycoplasma and ureaplasma anyway. But you'd think if it were another random germ then surely one of all the antibiotics I did would have cleared it.

I will make the payment shortly.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Also, is Flagyl useful in this situation? Seems like I can get it easier around here without prescription.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The week of Doxy totally took the sting and burn and testicle pain away back in October. What only remained was a shooting feeling / slight burn after vigorous masturbation. ie - if I masturbated more than twice a day.

I thought that was left over inflammation.

No - doxycycline would not be helpful if resistant
It is doubtful Flagyl would have any use in your symptoms- this does not sound like Trichomonas at all
After your sequence of antibiotics the most rational would be moxifloxacin ( Avelox)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Doc. Okay one last question.. What do you think is most likely.

That the germ never went away in the first place and has now resurfaced? (Because I only and only got the sting/shooting sensation after masturbating more than once a day). Never at random times like it was before Doxycycline.

Or is this just left over inflammation (even if its after 3 months of Doxycycline) because I took too long to take the right antibiotic initially?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Oh and the the thing about the using the sex toy that wasnt washed for a while before I used an antiseptic before use, is that irrelevant?

The sex toy part is irrelevant
I have already given my opinions on what it may be above.
Good luck