Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  Specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

I am a 51 year old post menopausal woman, about 7 months ago

I am a 51 year old post menopausal woman, suffering from health anxiety, about 7 months ago I had an ultrasound on my bladder as I had unexplained microscopic haematuria for several months. I am very slim and the ultrasound showed no abnormalities except for 2 very small stones in my kidneys. My urologist said that there was nothing to worry about and that haematuria was nothing to worry about, I suffer from urogenital atrophy, to an extreme level so I think he thought that I might just be somebody who bleeds ( if that makes any sense !) I had also had several unrianary tract infections so he thinks that my bladder is just a bit sensitive . I still have microscopic haematuria, v low levels and unchanged since I last tested my urine 7 months ago... , my only concern is bladder cancer, am I right in thinking that it highly unlikely that I have bladder cancer ? Please can you reassure me, I am slim fit eat healthily and do not smoke... Should I seek further advice or can I forget about it unless the blood becomes visible ... ? please could you advise, thank you. ( There are no nitrates in the urine - so no  infection )   By the way my Urologist did not perform a cystoscopy because he said I am so slim that the ultrasound would be able to pick up the tiniest  abnormality  and therefore there was no need. Hope that makes sense ! thank you very much look forward to hearing from you.  Just to add I would rather not have any tests unless you think they are absolutely necessary as I find them incredibly  stressful.... thank you

Just wanted to add that on the test strip it shows just a few dark blue/green dots which according to the leaflet indicate intact erythrocytes  ( only a few less than is shown on the tube ) it also shows that there is a bit of protein in my urine ( pale green ) and that my pH level is about 7 ... )  every thing else is normal

Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I look forward to working with you.
The risk of having bladder cancer in your case is less than 1%. But in the USA, we recommend that cystoscopy be performed to make sure there is no evidence of cancer because the ultrasound can miss small cancers. If you are this anxious about it, then you can try to request that cystoscopy be performed. Hope this helps
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you, ***** ***** blood just be because I am very dry from lack of oestrogen ... ? What other reasons could there be, I am reluctant to have more tests unless you think I should as I fear that potential increases my health anxiety... so if for a normal person the calculated risk is so small could I not bother unless there is visible blood ... ? what do you think... ?

Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 2 years ago.
The blood is most likely from the small stones you have.
That is a calculated risk only you can decide on. The one time bother of cystoscopy sure would take the fear of cancer out of your mind though.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience: Specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you I will think about it.