Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  Specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

I have been suffering with typical sti symptoms and think

Customer Question

I have been suffering with typical sti symptoms and think it may be genital herpes. I had a test for gonorrhoea and chlamydia which came back negative. My girlfriend is getting tested this afternoon. I started having unprotected intercourse with my girlfriend a month ago.
The symptoms I'm suffering are typical - painful to urinate, itchy/burning feeling in tip of penis and milky discharge from end of penis. Plus, since I first noticed the symptoms six days ago, I've been suffering with muscle aches and feelings of exhaustion.
I've read that it is incurable. Is this correct? If yes, are these symptoms ever going to recede? Is there any chance it may not be an sti?
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I look forward to working with you.
These symptoms are curable with antibiotics. Were you ever treated with any antibiotics?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for replying Dr.
I have had antibiotics many times, recently amoxicillin for tooth infections.
Is there a chance it isn't herpes?
Tim
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 2 years ago.
Amoxicillin is not going to treat this. You need ceftriaxone and azithromycin and Flagyl to cover for the most common STDs.
These are not herpes symptoms. These are symptoms of STDs like gonorrhea, chlamydia, trichomonas, etc that likely were missed on your initial testing.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Doctor
Yes, having read about my symptoms online I assumed it was chlamydia or gonorrhoea but I read that the symptoms of herpes hsv-2 also include muscle aches and fatigue which I started suffering with the same day as the discharge, pain urinating with urine very strong smelling.
I know one should never try to self-diagnose using the internet but this isn't something I felt I could see my local gp about. Not that I'd be too embarrassed, I just thought they would just recommend visiting a GUM clinic. Is there anything it could be that isn't an sti?
I've been tested for chlamydia and gonorrhoea done privately. I've never heard of trichomonas.
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 2 years ago.

No, this is likely nothing other than an STI. You could have Herpes as well as some other STI, but this is not likely to be herpes alone.

Regardless, you need to be tested again and treated as I described above.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just to let you know this was diagnosed by a doctor as a urine infection
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 2 years ago.
Ok. Thanks for the followup.