Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  Specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

I have prostate cancer and a flip-flow catheter. My consultant

I have prostate cancer and a flip-flow catheter. My consultant says from scans that it has not spread and I start Radiotherapy tomorrow.
Three weeks ago I had blood in my urine and my doctor had a sample and gave me Cefalexin and told me to drink loads.
Tonight I have sign of blood in urine again but no burning this time. I am drinking loads of water to help flush should I do anything else. I have no fever or pains in my belly.
Can you advise me-thank you
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I look forward to working with you.
You definitely need to let your urologist know about this blood in the urine. You will need to have a CT scan and a test called cystoscopy to look inside the bladder to see where the bleeding is coming from. They may need to take you to the operating room to stop the bleeding before you finish your radiation treatments. If you are on blood thinners that you can stop, you should stop them. You should drink plenty of water to flush all the blood out of the bladder. Otherwise, there's really nothing else you can do. You just need to talk to your urologist about this problem for you go to the emergency room to be seen.