Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Long time; years I have suffered from a fishy urine

Customer Question

Hi - for a long time; years I have suffered from a fishy urine smell from my penis. Firstly my gp prescribed anti fungal creams which weren't that effective, so eventually I had a circumcision - about 2 years ago. This didnt solve the problem either and since then I have had antibiotics, antifungals etc from my gp which sometimes work temporarily but the problem soon comes back. I've been to GUM clinics many times and and I always test clear for all STI's. My penis looks healthy and it doesn't leak; there isn't any discharge. This is a huge problem as the smell is really noticeable; it effects my social life and I have recently started a new job so it is just so undermining and embarrassing. It isn't imagined; I have discussed it with friends and family who are all concerned about it too. It doesn't seem that any doctor can either explain it or offer a solution and it seems to be something I just have to try and live with. I am totally at the end of my tether with it and I can't carry on. Please help.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Do you still need assistance?
I am about to leave the computer and wanted to post a comment before doing so.

The most common cause of a bad odour would be an infection, but it appears that you have had several evaluations for infection as well as treatment for common infections. Since this has not been effective, another condition to consider would be a metabolic condition that can lead to a fishy odour, called trimethylaminuria. This is a rare condition, but when it does occur, a fishy odour is the common complaint.

The evaluation for this would be a urine test, and you can discuss this with your doctor on your next visit.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.