Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  Specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

10 days ago I had a UTI which had a positive culture .

Customer Question

10 days ago I had a UTI which had a positive culture for Ecoli. I was treated with Bactrim. My initial urinalysis showed leukocytes 500u, Nitrite positive, protein 500, red blood cells 200-300. Microscopy showed bacteria 2-5. Subsequently I purchased urine test strips which have shown Trace leukocytes and Trace non hemolyzed blood. What is the significance of this?
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I look forward to working with you.
These are just signs of residual inflammation which is common after treatment for urinary tract infection. As long as you do not have anymore burning when you urinate her fevers or chills, this is typical of a successfully treated urinary tract infection. All these findings will clear up over the next several weeks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So the blood is nothing to worry about?
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 2 years ago.
No. That is likely from the infection.
But if you have a history of smoking then you may need a full evaluation with a CT scan and cystoscopy to rule out a bladder cancer as the source of the bleeding as well