Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  Specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

My wife is having an operation - with alase probe - to remove

My wife is having an operation - with alase probe - to remove two stones from her ureter. One is at very top the other lower down.
1. Are their any risks In operating if the Urethra is infected before op.
Are their any checks (de briefings that shoulda bfe operformed before the day of the operation
Malcolm RedmanRed
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I look forward to working with you.
Yes, operating on a stone with this type of laser can cause severe infection of the current infection is not cleared. This is why she should be placed on antibiotics first clear the infection before undergoing the operation.
The only safety check that really needs to occur during the day of the surgery is to make sure that the correct side is being operated on. Otherwise, this is a relatively safe and straightforward surgery. Hope this helps.