Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  Specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

2 weeks ago, I began to experience burning after urination

Customer Question

Hi. 2 weeks ago, I began to experience burning after urination and severe cramps in the lower abdomen. I was prescribed a 5 day course of 250mg ciprofloxacin. After the course, the symptoms were starting to disappear so I was given a repeat prescription. The cramps have virtually disappeared completely.
Unfortunately, the burning after urination has persisted. The tip of my penis (at the opening to the urethra) is extremely red and quite inflamed. I have been screened for both chlamydia and gonorrhea. As expected, they were both negative.
Any idea on what could be causing this and how it can be treated? Thanks!
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I look forward to working with you.
That they actually ever send a urine culture? What did the show?
Were you recently sexually active with an unknown or risky partner.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, a unfriendly sample was taken but was apparently fine.
I haven't partaken in any risky sexual behaviour. I have only been with my partner of 2 years.
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
Are you circumcised?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I'm not. I ensure I wash the head every day with warm water and a mild unperfumed soap.
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
It certainly sounds like you have a bladder infection that has not been treated appropriately. If this was a bladder infection, the correct us for supper foxes and should be 500 mg twice a day for at least seven days.
The redness is likely from the infection. It sounds to me like you need to have a repeat urine culture done and you need to be placed on the correct dose of antibiotics based on your urine culture. Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much for your help, doctor. I appreciate it.
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome. Please don't forget to leave me a rating. Thanks.