Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  Specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

I am a 55 year old female, i have chronic long standing back

Customer Question

i am a 55 year old female, i have chronic long standing back pain, finished 7 weeks of cephalexin for cholecystitis on 15th august. since finishing antibiotics i noticed i was not urinating as much as usual as i drink 8 glasses of water also had right iliac fossa pain, for 12 days, had home visit from GP as i am house bound she said not appendicitis. 3 days ago i felt i could not urinate no sensation to urinate had to make myself with running water but can not feel to be urinating only hear it. i have pelvic pain, trace of blood in urine which has gone for analysis, last night i went 12 hour without urination in panic finally i urinated with great effort and strain 400ml through the day i have forced myself to urinate often just 100ml in total 1600 ml. temperature 37.5. pain in front pelvis and back. nausea exhausted legs hurt ill. got taking nitrofurantoin 50mg only had two so far,
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I look forward to working with you.
Because of your chronic back pain in the blood in the urine, you need a full evaluation by a urologist. This requires a CT scan as well as cystoscopy. I'm concerned that you may have an unrecognized kidney stone is the source of your pain and blood as well as infection. You need to have the CT scan to evaluate for this. Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you Doctor for answering my questions. I may add i had an MRCP on 3rd august, i think kidney was viewed? and blood test 7th august all for the gallbladder infection, have 15mm stone in neck of gbladder plus lots in gallbladder. Are you ruling out spinal compression, and cancer. why is my bladder numb no sensation

Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
I can't rule anything out without being able to examine you. But this is likely not spinal compression. Cancer can cause blood in the urine and this is why you need to have a CT scan done.
The symptoms of nothing to do with your gallbladder.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

last question, so in your opinion taking cephalexin for 7 weeks and symptoms started when i finished them, is this coincidence or have the long term use of cephalexin damaged me or caused an infection as for sure they antibiotics wiped out all my good bacterias floras ect. I was told by a nurse, you will get urinary tract infection when you come off long term cephalexin. this is not a urinary tract infection i have ever experienced, my past experience is opposite, frequent urge to urinate not numb bladder and no urge to urinate. I will ask my GP for referral to urologist and CT scan, you recommend CT and not MRI. thank you for speaking to me, thats my last question. God Bless you.

Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
Being on the antibiotics for that long can certainly lead to bacteria that you can become resistant to. This can certainly lead to even worse infections which may be causing the symptoms you are experiencing.