Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  Specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

I have had a Botox injection bladder in February

Customer Question

I have had a Botox injection for overactive bladder in February 2015 and I now cannot empty my bladder fully. I have read about some people having to self cath. but I really do not want to have to do this as I am slightly disabled after a bad fall. My question is when will this wear off and my bladder get back to normal as I am worried and cannot get a sleep with having to get up to pass urine. Do I HAVE to use a catheter. Please help. Many thanks.
Martina.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I look forward to working with you.
Yes. You need to use a catheter to empty the bladder until this wears off. Typically, it wears off within 6 months. If this doesn't improve in the next month, your doctor should do a urodynamics test to see if your bladder muscle is working or not. Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dr. Y,

Thank you so much. My urologist said to me that he did not think I would need a catheter just a few weeks ago. I have tried to get in contact with him for the results of my uroflow test and I am a bit concerned about having to pass urine so often. I am just hoping that this WILL wear off. Can you tell me if there is a chance things will improve in a short while. This procedure was done 7 months ago. Please, please help.

Many thanks,

Martina.

Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
Yes. There is a chance that things will improve in the next couple
Months so that you do not need to catheterize anymore. You just have to wait and see what happens.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Y,

Thank you so very much. I hope things will improve.

Martina.