Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience:  MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.
8708167

I have fluid retention in abdomen and legs i had an ultrasound

Customer Question

I have fluid retention in abdomen and legs i had an ultrasound of my bladder and kidneys the other day.
I was asked to drink 1.5 litres of water beforehand and i started drinking this at 2pm , my appointment was at 3.30pm.
When i got there my bladder appeared empty on the ultrasound? Completely empty? After my u/s i went to empty my bladder and i had a small amount?
Coukd this mean anything?
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.
Hi ,Do you have any kidney problems?Are you breathless? Any heart issues?Have you checked your kidney function tests ?Have you seen your doctor?Are you passing urine now?Please let me know.Dr.Tharun
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have only one kidney the other one I lost when I was 23 I am now 45. I was born with a blocked urether on the one I lost and I had it sorted at 18 months old but it came away and I eventually lost my kidney.
The last 3 years I have suffered with fluid retention in my soft tissue and leg swelling and swelling in abdominal wall. I am breathless because I am bloated. I take Benfluoziride diuretics. My kidney function us normal at 61gfr for one kidney, I attend a hospice as have to wear compression, they originally thought I had lympheadema but they now know it's fluid retention instead. I recently had a ultrasound if kidney and bladder and I drank just under 2 litres to fill bladder for this but in scan my bladder was completely empty even though I had drunk that and went to toilet after the scan??
I feel like I have flu all the time and my periods stopped 3 years even though blood test says not menopausal. Thank you for your time.
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.
Hi What is your blood creatinine levels ?How much urine do you pass each day ?Dr.Tharun
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know my blood creatinine levels but my blood tests have been normal or do I have been told.
I don't think I pass much fluid as I drink a lot but not much comes out.
What should my blood creatinine levels be?
Do you think this is anything to worry about or could it contribute to my fluid retention.
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.
Creatinine is the indicator of the kidney function and how much the kidney is able to filter. Ideally it should be less than 1.2 - 1.4. If it is more than that, urine production will be less. As a result fluid retention will happen and you will develop body/ feet/ facial swelling due to it.You should get your creatinine levels checked and also see a nephrologist who can treat you if the creatinine levels are high.You should not drink too much water of the creatinine levels are high. Water restriction is advised in patients having raised creatinine levels.Dr.Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience: MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you I will see if I can get the last creatinine levels blood test results.
Thank you for your help
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.
you are welcome