DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

HiI have just taken an std urine test (NAAT method)

Customer Question

I have just taken an std urine test (NAAT method) for chlamydia and gonorrhea and fortunately the test results came up negative.
However, at the time of the test I was 9 days in to a 10 day course of Phenoxymethyl Penicillin - x2 250g tablets 4 times a day.
I have read that being tested while taking anti-biotics can affect the reliability of the tests. I know that the anti-biotics I have been taking are not normally effective against chlamydia and gonorrhea and are not the prescribed medications. However, I have three questions:
1. Is it true that anti-biotics, like the ones I am on, can affect the reliability of tests for chlamydia and gonorrhea? And if so, in what ways?
2. What is the likelihood that these anti-biotics may have cleared up any infection I had (assuming I had one)?
3. What is the likelihood that these anti-biotics may have suppressed the infection to mean that it could not be detected by the tests and I consequently received a negative result, but that I still have an infection (assuming I had an infection in the first place).
I should add that I do not know if I had an infection. I had no symptoms and I only got tested as a former partner said they had tested positive, but we only had a one time encounter and it is very possible that I did not have anything and the test results are accurate.
Category: Urology
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
HelloGiven the antibiotic you are one, and the negative test, you are negative.The test would have detected DNA material if the bugs were present at all.It is very unlikely your antibiotic would have treated either bug.Suppression causing a negative test is not an issue. OK, so that is an initial answer….Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Are you able to provide more detail behind the statement: 'It is very unlikely your antibiotic would have treated either bug' - what is the percentage probability that penicillin in such a dosage would be able to treat those infections?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
Less than 1 to 5 %The tests dectects the presence of the bacteria.If it were present at all, the DNA would be detectable.The test is thus sensitive enough to have detected your infection if you had it.In over 90% of cases, PCN would not address these bugs, and even if it did, it would not affect the test. please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.