Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  Specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

I have discovered discoloration of semen to a dark

Customer Question

hello ,
i have discovered discoloration of semen to a dark brownish tinge this weekened. i went to my GP who did a basic urine test and said there is non visible (small traces) of blood in my urine along with some RBC's and has referred me to a urologist. i do not have any other symptoms like pain in my abdomen, fever etc. can you please advise since the apointment with my urologist is half a month away.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I look forward to working with you.
This discoloration that you see is likely from inflammation of the ejaculatory ducts or prostate. Sometimes , It can be from a urine infection. The infection can be minor and you don't have to have a fever or severe pain. You don't have to worry about this being due to anything serious like cancer. But the trip to the urologist is necessary to make sure that you don't have an infection that needs treatment. Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hello doctor,

i also feel some sort of congestion/discomfort in my testicles, not continuous, wouldnt call it pain to be specific, does this comply with your diagnosis as well?

Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
Yes. This is a possible sign of epididymitis, which can definitely cause the findings you describe. You may need to be put on antibiotics to treat this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

should i be changing anything in my routine due to this. i mean i exercise exhaustively and have lost 8kgs in the past 4 months and am taking protein supplements since the past month for muscle gain. Will continuing my exercising/protein intake routine cause any problems till i undergo my urology examination. i keep running in and out of light fever as well.

Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
Neither of those medications are antibiotics. They only help stop the pain. In order to treat your infection, you should be started on an antibiotic based on your urine culture results.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you doctor, will this infection also cause weight loss? I seem to have lost a kilo in the last 3 days, with no workout and maintaining consistent diet
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
No. This type of infection should not cause weight loss.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hello doctor,

as prescribed , i have gone through the following test -

ultrasounds of the kidneys, testicles, prostate and the bladder

urine flow rate and urine culture

all of the areas seemed fine but the prostate showed some calcification which the ultrasound doctor said that could be some prior inflamation which has healed.

since all the tests were inconclusive the doctor has now suggested we go through cystoscopy to further determine the cause. what do you think is happening doctor? can this be related to bladder cancer?

also since last week i have not noticed any blood in my ejaculate and the blood in urnie has always been non visible and WBCs are still observed

Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
No. This is not related to bladder cancer. The calcifications in the prostate are due to chronic prostatitis. This prostatitis is what is leading to the blood in the semen. This will go away over the next 4 to 6 weeks as long as the prostatitis is treated completely.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

strangely the doctor didnt even bring this up and has suggested for the cystoscopy. any reasons for suggesting this or what does this test detect?

also does prostatitis explain the WBCs in the urine?

Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
Yes. Prostatitis can cause white blood cells to appear in the urine. Cystoscopy would only be indicated if you had blood in the urine or any concern for some process in the urethra bladder which may be causing the white blood cells. Only your doctor can determine that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i dont think they were able to find anything of concern cause the doctor himself said that there is only 1 in 20 chances they find something. and also stated that these tests are not urgent and better if we do this before christmas

Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Well the standard of care is to do cystoscopy when there is blood in the urine even if the chances of finding anything wrong is going to be very low.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

is there anything to worry about doctor, cause i think im stressing myself up

Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
No. I see nothing to worry about. Your going to be fine. The chance of this being something serious like cancer is less than 1%.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hello doctor,

what other tests might have to go through if the doctors are not able to find any causes of the WBC in my urine.

Also is it required to have RBC in your urine to actually see discoloration of urine. i have no discoloration and as mentioned its is only non visible.

Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
No, you don't have to have red blood cells in your urine to see discoloration of the urine. If the doctors are not able to find any causes of the white blood cells in the urine, and they may need to do cystoscopy and a CT scan to evaluate the entire urinary tract.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

but didnt you say that the calcification of the prostate gland in the ultrasounds should be the cause of the RBCs?

Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
Yes. That is possible but it is just an educated guess. You will need the cystoscopy and CT scan to confirm.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hello doctor,

my urine culture says W.B.C @ 70/cmm and nil RBC, does that help you further your diagnosis. is this WBC count too high? what should be the normal number?

Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
There should be 0WB C's in the urine. This does not solidify any diagnosis whatsoever. All this indicates that there is some information in the urinary tract somewhere.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

is this called hematuria, or do you need RBC in your urine to have hematuria?

Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
This is not hematuria. You need RBCs in the urine to have hematuria.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok so then this is not the case of blood in urine. thought blood cells either white or red are constituted as blood in urine and hence hematuria

Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
No. This is not hematuria. Hematuria is the presence of RBC in the urine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello doctor, in addition to the above ive also started noticing since past 2 days im having dribbling issues post urination, only a few drops but this has added to my concerns. Anything else i need to be aware of
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
This is normal post void dribbling that can occur in men. You just have to shake out the urine from the penis to prevent this. Please don't forget to leave me a rating. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hello doctor,

as i previously mentioned i had a new set of symptoms on thrusday evening consisting of dribbling, frequent urination and mild groin discomfort. i re did my urine culture which said that my WBC count has gone up to 135 cmm and still no RBC with mixed bacterial growth. does this categorize as UTI without ambiguity. my symptoms have somewhat subsided since this weekend since i have been drinking plenty of water. still no visible blood in urine and no fever.

Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
I'd be happy to help once you leave me a rating for my help with your other questions. Thanks.
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
Yes. This is almost certainly symptoms of a urine infection that would require antibiotics for treatment. You need to have a formal urine culture done
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hello doctor,

post my cystoscopy the results of which were normal, other than WBC in urine i have started having an itchy sensation(not pain jsut discomfort and itch) near where my prostate is. this itch usually comes and goes and when it itches i can feel that im having difficulty in getting a steady stream of urine and urination becomes more ferquent. this is the only symptom im showing currently. these symptoms come and go so far i have had these symptoms once a week for the past 2 weeks and then they disappear. the cysctoscopy did not show anything of significance in the tract. only thing of mention was calcification in my prostate during the ultrasound. and the urine culture always shows 70 to 125 cmm WBC on dipstick and mixed growth of questionalbe significance(i have had 2 urine test in the past 2 weeks)

Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
This could be a sign of prostatitis. Your doctor may need to consider treating you for this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

is there any assured way of testing for prostatis. cause based on the normal cystoscopy and ultrasounds of renal tract bladder , prostate(which showed focii) and testicles, he has not derived the conclusion and has completely ignored the calicification on prostate. and if my symptoms dont disappear in the next 2 weeks i have a CT scan. is the doctor going in the right direction. is calcification of prostate a sign of prostatis. and also does the prostate gland expand and contract within a short period of time cause my urinary flow problems keep coming and going in span of a day.

Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
Yes. A prostate massage can be done to express prostate fluid to send for culture. A semen culture can also be done by your urologist.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
does a ct scan prove to be an alternative to the prostate massage test u explained above? Also pls clarify if consistent on and off of my urinary symptoms fits the case of prostatis
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
No, a CT scan is not an alternative to the prostate massage. Yes. Your symptoms can certainly fit the picture of prostatitis.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Till this gets diagnosed completely are there any home remedies i can use to solve this problem?
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
No, there are no home remedies for this
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i continue to have brownish semen and WBC in my urine

Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
The brown semen and WBC will be there as long as you have prostatitis
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will anti inflammatory like ibuprofen help?
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
Yes. That will help calm the inflammation that can cause your symptoms.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im assuming this will not be a permanent solution. My symptoms seem to flare up rapidly and now i even have pain while urination at the base of the penis guessing its the itchy prostate which is aching
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
No, this is not a permanent solution. Only identification of the bacteria with appropriate antibiotic therapy is the permanent solution.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Doesnt cystoscopy detect prostatitis?
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
No it does not
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im also detecting light fever and chills now doctor. What do you suggest
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
I would recommend that you go to the emergency room to have a urine culture done and be started on it to biotics. It sounds like you have bacterial prostatitis as your cause of your symptoms
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could this be a side effect of the cystoscopy or tge main cause for all my symptoms, cause the bleeding (brownish)in semen was present a month back as well but tge dre and rectal ultrasounds of prostate was normal other than the calcification found
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
All your symptoms are likely from prostatitis.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello doc,
Luckily i have got the apointment with a urologist today but most of my symptoms have disappeared no feber chills and not constant urination, i onky have a small itch in my prostate. Is it possible that the doc isnt able to diagnose prostatitis since currently i have no symptoms
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
No. They can still diagnose it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello doctor,
So finally the 2nd urologist ive met says that its a definite case of prostatitis sine the prostate seemed enlarged and it ached when he tried to stroke it during the DRE. and has asked for a urine culture which should come in a weeks time. However the 1st urologist seemed a bit concerned abt my kidneys one of which is only 5 cms long in the ultrasounds. The last time i had my renal uktrasounds was when i had hepatatis A,3 yrs back and they werent able to find 1 of my kidneys. So im asked to do a dmsa. I think i was born with onky 1 of them cause i never had any kidney problems before. Is this something to worry abt which can progress into something bad abd is linked to my current medical condition
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
No, this does not sound like anything to worry about. You're just going to have to wait for the full of evaluation to see If anything further needs to be done. Please open a new question for further inquiry as this thread is getting long. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello doctor,
I just collected the first urine in the morning for my culture and i observe that it has a few whitish particles bunched up like cotton pieces or like dust particles. Is this how white blood cells in urine look like or is called as cloudy urine. I have not noticed this before since u can see anything like this during normal urination, was only able to view this in the container given to collect sample and against bright sunlight
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
You can't see white blood cells. They are microscopic. Those particles may be debris from infection. Again, please open a new question for further inquiry. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello doctor,
The white stuff in my urine has increased wuite a lot in 1 day and i also have developed pain in my lower right back. My anti biotics wont start untill 1 week till my microculture returns from the lab. Should i take pain killers and wait or should i contact doctor again
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
You should contact your doctor again. The urine culture results should be back in about 3 days.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I meant should i go to the er right now at 4 in the morning. The reason im worried is cause i have only 1 right kidney and i think thats where it is aching. If this pain is not due to prostatitis then im worried
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
Then it sounds like you should go to the ER for an evaluation.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ive tried the er and they have told me to come back in the morning. The pain is not unbearable and i also think it could have been due to gas . But my urine is foamy now. Only anxiety is killing me now
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I think you'll be fine. This is likely your anxiety just getting to you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Whats a bit strange is that the back pain is not constant. Its like someone oinches me inside the back and eveytine i have that i feel burpy and passing gas. Could this pain be merely gas. I had fries today after like a year. The pain in lower back persists in the morning as well and i still feel as if i have gas. Or could this pain be because of prostatitisAlso does ibuoprofen cause foamy urine. Im taking 2 400mgbtabletsb since yesterday and have noticed foamy urine today
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
Foamy urine can just be from forceful urination. A single day at foamy urine is nothing to be concerned about. Prostatitis can cause intermittent pain. But so can abdominal bloating from gas. It sounds like you really need to see year did general doctor for a good examination to determine exactly what your cause is.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey doc,My belching and pain in the back due to bloated gas are all gone. Ive read that this could have been a side effect of ibuoprofen. Had it for the whole day yesterday but was less sever yesterday since i was off ibuoprofen. No symptoms today. However since i wasnt able to eat properly in the last 2 daysbecause constant feeling of fullness im feeling a bit dizzy and light headed this morning
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
Go check your blood pressure to see if it is low or not. Please open a new question for further inquiry.