Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  Specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

Doctor

Customer Question

hello doctor,
as i previously mentioned i had a new set of symptoms on thrusday evening consisting of dribbling, frequent urination and mild groin discomfort. i re did my urine culture which said that my WBC count has gone up to 135 cmm and still no RBC with mixed bacterial growth. does this categorize as UTI without ambiguity. my symptoms have somewhat subsided since this weekend.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
Yes. This almost certainly sounds like a urine infection that would require a urine culture and antibiotics to treat this. You need to see your doctor for a urine culture.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi dr y,

i already had my urine culture and the findings as stated above. also i ahve my cystoscopy scheduled tomorrow. If this is UTI then would i still need a cysctoscopy and if yes, what for?

Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
Yes. The cystoscopy is necessary to figure out exactly where the blood is coming from. The inner lining of the bladder needs to be examined.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

there is no blood in urine, no RBC in the urine test, no visible blood in urine. or is presence of WBC the same as presence of blood?

Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
No. WBCs are different from RBC. But you have a high amount of WBC and the cysto should be done to figure out where they are coming from.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hey doctor,

my Cystos came clear. and the doc says just wait and see if the WBC go away in 2-3 weeks and of not we do a CT scan and also says that UTI may not be the case since there has not been much evidence. what i find hard to believe is that the docs have no experience with this kind of a situation. they are clueless.

Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
With a normal cystoscopy, these white blood cells in the urine are probably just a sign of inflammation. Without any other symptoms, there's nothing further that needs to be done other than to continue to observe the urine. It sounds like they have done everything to rule out any serious causes and there is no need for further concern.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

also i dont know if this is critical information or not, but in 2012 during ultrasounds they were not able to detect my left kidney or said that it was very small. when i had my ultrasounds again this time. They said that the appearance suggests a dysplastic or absent left kidney since there was only an impression of a small kidney measuring 5 cm diameter. The right kidney was sonographically normal. Could this be a cause of any concern in my case?

Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
No, that is not of concern. You were likely born with the kidney like this. But only your doctor can actually determine this by looking at your images. Please don't forget to leave me a rating so I can continue to help you. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hello doctor,

i have just got a 2nd opinion for another doctor. this doctor also did a DRE and says that my prostate is quite enlarge and says that its prostatitis. upon getting my urine culture i have >10^6 UFC/ml of Escherichia Coli in my urine along with white and red blood cells in my urine. he has put me on cipro for 10 days after which he will again do my prostate and bladder ultra sounds. does this confirm prostatitis and if so is this the acute bacterial prostatitis. how many days does it take to cure this? to just replay my case i had brownish semen intermittently since past 3 weeks and my past 2 urine cultures before the normal cystoscopy always showed mixed bacterial growth and WBC on dipstick. the 2nd opinion docs says that the urine report which showed mixed growht werre not the complete reports since the results were not detailed enough. and why were they not able to decipher this before, was it jsut ignorance?

Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
This may just be a urinary tract infection or it could be acute bacterial prostatitis. Prostatitis would have to be determined based on a prostate examination by your doctor. I can't determine why your other doctor could not figure this out. You would have to ask them directly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

does UTI result in an enlarged prostate. i can feel pain near my prostate area and my urine stream is very low. im guessing whatever it is, Cipro should be able to fix it right, or, you think depending if its UTI or prostatittis i would have to get something different? its an E-Coli infection for sure as per my culture results and my blood test confirmed inflammation in the body, blood resuslts showed nothing wrong with kidneys or liver.

Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
No, a UTI does not cause an enlarged prostate. But if you feel pain in that prostate area, this is most likely prostatitis. The correct antibiotic is going to be completely dependent on the results of a urine culture. But ciprofloxacin would be the most common first choice of antibiotic.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

to reiterate my symptoms are as follows:

pain near the pubic bone, radiating pain in abdomen and testicles, discharge through penis, brownish semen, frequent urination and low urine stream, irritation near the prostate. Urinary symptoms started 3 weeks back and last for 1-2 days and go back to normal and appear again. Urine culture shows WBC and now RBC as well with E Coli as mentioned above. Prostate was confirmed as inflammed through DRE by the urologist and Blood tests showed some sort of a protein which says that there is inflammation somewhere in the body. Ultrasounds of prostate showed calcification in some areas, cystoscopy was normal, bladder showed no discrepancy in ultrasounds other than the fact that it was not completely empty after me voiding. i have given you my entire case with the results now

Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
The symptoms and findings are certainly consistent with prostatitis to do a urine culture and follow up on the results to put you on a three or four week course of antibiotics.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ive done urine test thrice in the last 3 weeks , the 1st 2 cultures showed a mixed growth of questionable significance with positive dipstick nos for WBC.

the 3rd was a microbiologie urine test which showed E-Coli >10^6 UFC/ml, 5-10E/Champ Hematies and lots of WBC, +1 positive for nitrites and proteins (0.8 g/l)on dipstick

Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
OK,. In this case, I would recommend that they consider starting you on the Cipro for 3 to 4 weeks to see what happens.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

so does the urine test results prove that it is prostatitis or its something else? the doctor has given me cipro for 10 days followed by a transrectal prostate ultrasound and bladder ultrasound along with uroflometry test to review my condition

Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
The prostate exam combined with the urine culture solidifies the diagnosis of prostatitis.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How many days does it take to cure this. Ive had cipro 5 out of the 10 days prescription. Other than feeling a bit light headed ive had no other problems. My urinary symptoms and groin pains have sort of eased but i can still see discoloration of semen which is a bit yellowish. Is sex safe during prostatitis? How many days will it take for me to recover from this?

Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
It can take up to 30 days of antibiotics to cure this. You should not have sex until your symptoms have resolved. You should hopefully start to feel better within the next couple weeks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

will having sex make the spread of infection worse or is it just to avoid discomfort? cause i don't feel any pain while or after sex. only discoloration of semen and a sort of relief in my prostate.

Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
If you have an active infection, your semen can contain bacteria. If you want to have sex, I would recommend using a condom. It's OK to have sex as long as you are not having pain though. Hope this helps and please leave me a rating. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hello doctor,

i have finished my 10 days course of cipro. i can see that my symptoms have improved a bit, i.e. no/less pain in the perenieum/scrotal areas and my urine flow has improved. but the uroflowmetry still says that i have an avg flow rate of 9ml/sec and max at 17ml/sec with 40 ml of residual urine post voiding.however i still see yellowish/brown semen. i also did a dipstick test which no longer shows any blood WBC/RBC in urine which was substantially high(WBC) previously. i am now on Prostatgutt F for the next 25 days since the doc says that my prostate still seems a bit enlarged due to which im unable to empty bladder. i am a bit worried since i still have yellowish semen. or do you think that this will clear out in the next few days since my infection seems to have cleared as well according to dipsticks(no WBC)?