Dr. David
Dr. David, Physician Experienced in Urology
Experience:  Board Certified Physician with extensive experience in Urology
41363181

I am a female and have been producing a tarry black stool for

Customer Question

I am a female and have been producing a tarry black stool for about a week as well as tarry black blood during my last 2 periods. What could be the cause of this?
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
This is Dr. David
this could be very serious
tar black stool can be a sign of bleeding from the upper GI system like bleeding from the stomach or from the esophagus.
you need to go to the A&E department at the hospital right away
and get your stools checked for blood and blood test to check your red blood cell count and iron and ferritin levels.
if you have bleeding from your stomach or esophagus, you can loose a lot of blood in a week and this can land you in the hospital
black tar blood from your vagina for your periods can be a sign of old blood from the uterus coming out
you should go to the hospital right away from evaluation
you might need a GI doctor to go down into your esophagus and stomach with a thin camera scope to look for areas of bleeding to stop it.
let me know if you have questions.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
let me know if you have other questions.
if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback
you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions
here is my website if you need to reach me again:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com