Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  Specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

I have recently started to experience wind coming from my bladder.

Customer Question

I have recently started to experience wind coming from my bladder. It's uncomfortable and really embarressing. Uncontrollable and loud.
I'm so embarressed I don't want to go to my GP or talk to anyone. It usually happens when I pee so not even my partner is aware.
I am diabetic and have a history of UTIs some of which have been nasty and required hospital treatment. The last UTI about 8 weeks ago resulted in my developing sepsis and being admitted to hospital for a few days.
The wind problem started shortly after that.
Will it go away on it's own? Could it be serious?
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.
Hi,Are you sure it is coming from the urerthral opening?Fever?Bowel issues like colitis or diverticulitis?Were you catheterized during last admission?Any procedure which was done during the hospitalization?History of stones? Abdominal pain?Please let me know.Dr.Tharun
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes its definately coming from the uretha. No history of stones or bowel problems and I wasn't cathetorised on my last hospital admission.
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.
HIIn view of recent severe sepsis due to UTI , air from the urethra has to be considered due to gas forming bacterial infection in the bladder and the kidney.Other causes are abnormal connection of the bowel to the bladder , which usually occurs due to bowel problems like colitis and diverticulitis and rarely cancer. But as you have no bowel related issues at present this looks unlikely.Last cause would have been recent catheterization which is obviously absent.So at the moment it has to be considered as urinary infection. You need to see your doctor as soon as possible. Urine culture needs to be done as well as a CT scan of the abdomen.Accordingly antibiotics have to be started.In severe cases a stent needs to be inserted to reduce the infection.If you have any doubts, please let me know.Dr.Tharun