Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  Specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

Feel need to urinate but cannot do so. 78 years of age, aliving

Customer Question

Feel need to urinate but cannot do so. 78 years of age, aliving alone.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
Are you male or female? When was the last time you urinated? What medications do you take?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry! Male.
Have been yesterday to A&E at Barnet who installed a catheter and extracted 800mls from the bladder. The catheter nurse will be in touch to check and possibly remove the catheter. in 10-14 days. Thery gave me 7 days dose of Contoflo XL.
Previously the only medication I took was a daily Saw Palmetto pill which seemed to ensure a minimum of trips to the loo overnight.
Any comments welcome! Hugh.
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
At your age, the most likely cause of your symptoms is an enlarged prostate. It sounds like they put you on the correct medication to try to relax the prostate so that you can urinate. They should also consider adding a medication called finasteride to help decrease the size of your prostate and prevent this from happening again in the future. You should discuss this with your urologist. Hope this helps and let me know if you have questions.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience: Specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A wonderful catheter nurse at Barnet Hospital has replaced the bag with a valve (together with a bag to fit on to the valve while in bed), and intends to remove the catheter next Monday, hoping that normal service will be resumed. She has also given me another 30 Tamsulosin capsules - last week they only gave me 7.
Hugh.
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Thanks for the followup. I'm hoping you can pass the urination trial at that point.