Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  Specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

I have worn a catheter years following urine retention

Customer Question

I have worn a catheter for two years following urine retention and considerable loss of blood. Do I have to wear it for life or can the need be reassessed?
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
Have you been placed on any medication for the prostate like Flomax to see if this helps you urinate?
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience: Specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no medication at all
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am going to start getting to bed now, can I resume this enquiry to morrow, I'll be home all day. The answer to Dr. Y's question is " No I have not been put on any medication for this condition" A telecon is a good idea, if you can give me a time for the call, I would be able to give the Doctor a description of the circumstances of the incident resulting in the inserting of the catheter.
I am closing down the computer now for the day. Regards Francis
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
Is this a foreign phone number? I cannot dial out of the USA
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
You do not need to wear this for life as long as your bladder can squeeze well and your prostate obstruction (the likely cause of your urine retention) is relieved, you will be able to urinate again. The doctor should start you on a medicine such as tamsulosin to relax the prostate. If that doesn't help you urinate after 1 month, then they should consider an operation on the prostate called a TURP to open the prostate channel so you can urinate again. Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response. The problem may be that the bladder does not squeeze well and has lost it muscle tone, is the anything I can do to strengthen it, such as pelvic exercises?
Doctor, I had not understood you are in the USA, I live in the UK between Portsmouth and Southampton. I will now seek for a Urologist for a meeting so that I can lay out the whole picture including notes on my history on this problem. Regards Francis
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
Once the bladder has lost its ability to squeeze, the only thing that can be done is implantation of a bladder pacemaker. Your doctor would have to determine whether or not you would be a good candidate for this or not.