Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  Specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

I have suffered recurrent UTI issues 35 yrs. I am

Customer Question

I have suffered recurrent UTI issues for approx 35 yrs. I am female, 43. I used to have a reflux and my bladder is anatomically slightly on its side.
Approx 7 weeks ago I had what felt just like the usual UTI but no burning on urination.
Over the last 7 weeks I have had 4 different courses of antibiotics. Some did nothing. Some relieved it for max 2 days. I still have the following symptoms that only seem to be holding rather than clearing. I am currently on Ciprofloxacin which again made it feel better for 2 days then symptoms worsened again. The only thing that has help alleviate symptoms is the D-Mannose I have been taking for the last 3 days. All urine samples I have had done come back negative. However my last dipstick test I did myself shows traces of non-haem blood.
My current symptoms are nausea at times, no temperature but hot and cold chills. Bladder discomfort permanently. General urinary discomfort as I usually feel with other UTI's but no burning pain on urination. Sometimes bladder pain after urinating and sometimes the bladder pain gets a little better after urinating. Urine colour is very clear as I am drinking so much water.
Please can you advise as I just keep getting turned away at the GP's with more sample tubes and a referral to a Urologist that I have to wait 2 mths for.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
The urine samples that they are taking, are they actually urine cultures or they just a urinalysis (dipstick test)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Both
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
If the urine cultures have been negative, and this is not a UTI that is causing your symptoms. There's something else going on. More likely, you're suffering from a condition called overactive bladder which is leading to bladder spasms and giving you symptoms similar to a UTI. Your doctor needs to consider putting you on a medication such as oxybutynin which is designed to stop by the spasms to see if this cures your symptoms. Hope this helps and let me know if you have questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your suggestion however I do not have any urgency at all to urinate which I thought was a major symptom of over active bladder? It also does not explain why I have some relief for a few days with antibiotics? My thinking was more in line with interstitial cystitis perhaps?
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
Interstitial cystitis is a possibility. However, all other more common diagnoses need to be excluded including overactive bladder. Some people present very differently with overactive bladder. Some people can only have symptoms like they have a UTI. They may not have urinary urgency. This is why it's worth a try I love a medication to treat overactive bladder before embarking down an evaluation for interstitial cystitis. Hope this helps and let me know if you have questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is the best way to diagnose this? Trying the medication and seeing if it is effective?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry to add - I am due an Ultrasound - will this assist in diagnosis of OAB?
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
No, the ultrasound will not help in the diagnosis of overactive bladder. The easiest way to make the diagnosis is to put you on a medication designed to treat overactive bladder. If it helps your symptoms, then overactive bladder is likely your problem. Another possible test that can be done is urodynamics which is like an EKG for the bladder to see if you are having bladder spasms. A urologist would have to consider doing this test. Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
would/can this OAB cause blood and protein in the urine?
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
No. That can be a possible sign of kidney disease that you should have evaluated by a nephrologist.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thx.
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome