Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  Specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

I am 57 year old male, I have recently had hematuria, which

Hi I am 57 year old male, I have recently had hematuria, which tested positive on a dip test. I spend the next couple of days drinking copious amount of water and testing again. For three days it was OK with no positive tests, however I had Doctors appointment yesterday its back again, quite pink in fact… I have continued with the higher water intake and now it’s gone again. The Doctor has taken some bloods and also is sending me for a Cystoscopy for further check up. I have had irritable bladder syndrome for some years, with a tendency to urinate frequently, and a reduced ladder capacity but other than having discomfort in the mornings in the bladder area when full have managed to control these symptoms. My question is; as the hematuria appears to be periodical rather than constant does this give any clues as to the source of the blood in the Urinary tract or reason for it.
Many thanks.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
No. The intermittency of the bleeding does not give a clue as to the source. Do you have a history of smoking?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Gave up over 25 years ago.
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
Blood in the urine can be an indication of a prostate infection, prostate cancer, kidney stones, or tumors of the kidneys, ureters, or bladder. Blood that you see at the beginning of the year and stream typically comes from the prostate. If the urine stream clears up, and then it starts bleeding, this indicates Morey source of bladder bleeding. This is why it is important to get in to see a urologist to have a CT scan of the abdomen and pelvis done and cystoscopy to rule out the stones and cancerous causes. While the cancerous causes are not likely, they should not be missed and this is why this evaluation is very important. Hope this helps and please let me know if you have questions.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience: Specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks.