Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  Specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

My wife has had a urinal virus a year .the doctor

my wife has had a urinal virus for over a year .the doctor keeps giveing her antibiotics ,but no success now she has to go to the toilet nearly hour dureing the night what should she do next
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
Have they identified the bacteria through a urine culture to see what the correct antibiotic is for her? Have they put her on any medications for bladde spasms such as oxybutynin?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Regular samples put in and repeat antibiotic at present 50mg Nitrofurantoin this is new today no other anti spasm med but have been using Estriol cream and applicator since end december 2015
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
The need to urinate every hour is a sign of bladder spasms. Antibiotics won't cure that. Her doctor needs to consider overactive bladder as a diagnosis and treat her with medication such as oxybutynin to help stop bladder spasms. Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We're also concerned with the effects of on-going /long term use of antibiotics what would you suggest?
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
If she does not have any true documented infections anymore, the antibiotics should be stopped. If they are continuing to recur, then she needs an evaluation by a urologist to see if she has things like unrecognized kidney stones or debris in the bladder causing the infections. They would do a CT scan and cystoscopy to evaluate these issues. Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She had a cystoscopy November 2015 no evidence of exophytic lesions, no evidence of fistula it does say cystitis cytica!
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
Ok. That is a chronic inflammatory condition from possibly from chronic infection. She still needs a CT scan to rule out stones as the cause of infection.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you I'll make appointment to talk to doctor again.