Dr. David
Dr. David, Physician Experienced in Urology
Experience:  Board Certified Physician with extensive experience in Urology
41363181

I have suffered from a painfull bladder generally on awakening

I have suffered from a painfull bladder generally on awakening when it is full for many years. I recently had a ultrasound and CT scan with contrast and am awaiting a Cystoscopy appointment. I haven't had the results of the CT scan yet, but the Ultra sound disclosed a slight enlargement of the prostate which the radiologist said was normal in an adult of late 50,s. She also said I had a mild thickening of the bladder wall. I originally went to the Doctors due to a single case of Haemturia which was a month ago. I have been testing daily with dipsticks and there is no trace of any visible blood . I have been told by a colleague that this is typical of Interstitial cystitis. What is this and could it be the cause of my bladder pains each morning.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. Davidusually interstitial cystitis causes microscopic blood in the urine and can cause bladder pains.also if you drink alcohol like the night before or caffeine, these can both irritate the bladder and cause bladder pains in the morning.usually intersticial cystitis will cause more than just bladder pains just in the mornings, but all the time around the clock during the day.in the morning, your bladder is most distended and stretched and so this can cause some mild discomfort in the AMI am glad you are getting a cystoscopy. this will tell for sure, but I suspect they will not find evidence of interstitial cystitis as your symptoms are only in the morning and mildlet me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me again:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/Thanks for using JustAnswers.com