Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  Specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

Ok, so this is probably going to sound really random so please

Customer Question

Ok, so this is probably going to sound really random so please don't think I'm just having a laugh because it's a serious question..
my wife has been vegetarian for 20+ years but over the past few months she made the transition to veganism. Now there is some concerns from her part regarding performing oral sex. She's convinced that semen might contain any meat or dairy that I consume in my diet so until she does find a clear answer receiving oral sex is out of the window. She's looked online and can't find anything to say that semen is vegan friendly and that it doesn't concern any of the foods that I eat as a none vegan so I thought I would ask a qualified medical professional to answer this question. My original response was that saliva would surely have more microscopic partials of the foods I eat so if she's worried about semen she should be worried about saliva too. Could anyone possibly answer this question for me. Thanks very much.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 9 months ago.
Semen does not contain any meat or dairy products whatsoever. It only contains sperm and some fluid from your body called seminal fluid. Hope this helps to clarify things.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
There are studies that have shown that people with allergies to brazil nuts can have an allergic reaction to semen from a man that has eaten brazil nuts. So does that mean that microscopic amounts of the food a person eats is present in the semen they produce?
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 9 months ago.
No. That is not the case. It is possible that there is a protein in brazil nuts that is similar to the protein present in semen and this is why some people may be allergic to both.