Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  Specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

My Mum (91) needs to go many times during the night causing

My Mum (91) needs to go many times during the night causing her to drowse off during the day. She had a fall resulting in a rod insertion. She does not take any medicine except a minor pain killer. Her blood pressure is normal.
Can you suggest any remedies? I think this overactive bladder occurs when she lies down
Shailu
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
This is commonly caused by constipation. How are her bowel habits?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is a normal Indian vegetarian so her diet would be such
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
This is probably not over active bladder if it does not occur at any other time of the day. Does she have a soft bowel movement every day?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not know but she had piles a few months ago. Anyway have told her to go to a salad diet and drink warm water every morning to avert constipation.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am in London and she is in Mombasa Kenya .
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
Having piles is a sign of constipation. Constipation is the most common cause of her symptoms. She needs to get started on a bowel regimen such as a stool softener like colace and a laxative like magnesium citrate or MiraLax to clear the stool out that is likely compressing the bladder and leading to the urgency to urinate. Her urologist needs to do a bladder ultrasound as wel to see if she is having problems emptying the bladder as the cause of the urgency. Hope this helps and let me know if you have questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you- she will try this out. She already has done the bladder ultrasound
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
You're very welcome. I wish her the very best. Please don't forget to leave me a rating. Thanks.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience: Specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.