Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience:  MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.
8708167

My question is a rather embarrassing one, I am concerned

My question is a rather embarrassing one, I am concerned about the chances of developing a UTI after an accident i had - unfortunately I have been experiencing loose stools due to a very heavy period, it happens to me sometimes, I tried to make it to the bathroom in time but this resulted in a bit of an accident I am quite sure my vaginal area was contaminated with faecal matter I urinated immediately wiped front to back as usual And showered/ washed the area with soap and I making sure to empty my bladder frequently since,
My question is how quickly does e coli bacteria get into the urethra and how quickly will i expect to have symptoms if i was indeed infected with an e coli UTI? I am very concerned because i have been battling with urethritis with no infection for years - and i am due to see a urologist next week this would really throw a spanner in the works if I caught an infection just before. Looking for a urologist to give me a bit of explanation of how quickly UTI actually evolve and if how likely is it that i will develop one in my situation?
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.
HIAre you diabetic ?Any other medical illness?When did the accident happen ?Do you have any new symptoms than usual?Fever ?Increase in the number of visits to the loo ?Please let me know.Dr.Tharun
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The accident just happened this afternoon, i have no symptoms. I have no other medical conditions, not diabetic no fever, I just want to know how likely I can develop infection and quickly does the infection take to develop normally?
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.
HIE coli is one of the fastest growing bacteria around - almost doubling itself in 20 minutes or so.So it can produce its first symptoms 6 hours after the inoculation. It can be later too.It is not necessary that you will develop an infection all the time. Since you washed the area and drinking plenty of water since then it should be OK unless the contamination was heavy and the bacteria very virulent.Keep drinking plenty of water. Cranberry juice is helpful to prevent infections.If you develop any new symptoms then you should do an urine test/ culture immediately.If you have any questions, please let me know.Dr.Tharun
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you I've been drinking plenty and also emptying my bladder frequently, I will keep an eye out for any symptoms in the next few days, I am very aware of cystitis symptoms as ive had problems with burning and pain on urination for years without ever finding bacteria in urine cultures. I've now managed to secure an appointment with a urologist which will hopefully investigate the reason for on and off urination problems, currently I am symptom free, which is great, it would be really unfortunate to catch a uti now and very confusing for any investigations the urologist will carry out. My appointment is next week Wednesday to deal with the more long term problem I have, I'd hate for things to be delayed by infection. Is D mannose effective in prevention?
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.
I understand your predicament and hope there is no UTI.Studies have showed a marginal reduction in frequency of UTI with D-mannose especially patients with high risk for catching UTI. Long term use is how ever not recommended as it is not cost effective.Dr.Tharun