Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  Specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

I am a 26 year old female and I am generally in good health.

Customer Question

I am a 26 year old female and I am generally in good health. I'm fairly healthy and don't drink caffeine or fizzy drinks. But, for the past few days I have found myself feeling the urge to urinate almost constantly. It's not painful, just uncomfortable, and most of the time I do go for a wee, it seems like I urinate a disproportionate amount to what I've had to drink that day. Despite being pretty healthy, I do tend to forget to drink enough throughout the day as I work in a shop and often can't leave the shop floor.
The urgency to urinate seems to be increasing and decreasing throughout the day, sometimes bordering on feeling like I might wet myself while I'm standing, but the urge decreases when I sit.
This urge comes back generally less than a minute after going to the toilet, so it's becoming very inconvenient as I can't keep popping to the loo every time I feel this!
For about 10 days leading up to this I had vaginal discharge that was quite thick and sticky but that has mostly gone now.
I feel too embarrassed to try and get an appointment with my GP for the first time in about 10 years over this!
Category: Urology
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I was very thirsty for the first few days of this, but that has eased off somewhat, and I forgot to mention that the urge to urinate feels mostly just like pressure.
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 9 months ago.
HIDo you have any burning while passing urine ?Blood in urine ?Any other symptoms ?Please let me know.Dr.Tharun
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No, there's been no pain or burning and I haven't noticed any blood in my urine.
I've had cystitis before and it doesn't burn like that.
I've been a little more tired than usual and I had an upset stomach last week that lead to increased and looser bowel movements but that has improved a bit now.
HIThere could be two reasons why this is happening. One is over active bladder - where the bladder becomes over sensitive and try to expel the urine all the time. So minimal volume will initiate the voiding reflex. There is no particular reason for this condition to develop. Usually happens when we are in stress or anxiety. It responds to drugs which relax the bladder.Second reason could be an urinary infection - it can present like this despite absence of burning ( early stages). This can be only ruled out by doing an urine test. Urine dip stick tests are sensitive enough to detect an infection. These strips are readily available in local pharmacies. If it is an infection then it is better to get a course of antibiotics after seeing your doctor.Rarely bladder stones can present like this. Then an ultrasound of the abdomen would be suggested if both the above mentioned conditions are ruled out.Drink plenty of water and cranberry juice which will help.If you have any questions please let me know.I hope this helps you.Dr.Tharun