Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience:  MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.
8708167

Doctor,I have gone and pelvic scan

Customer Question

Hello Doctor,I have gone for abdomen and pelvic scan recently as a general health check up. They have found cystic area in pelvic region.Result of ultrasound shows:
There is a cystic area with internal septa with no Doppler signals anterior to urinary bladder measuring 2.5 x 1.1 x 1.2 cm ? Urachal Cyst ? aetiologyI am very worried about the cyst. Worried most if any malignancy.
I am going to consult a Urologist very soon.
Can you please give me suggestion, what it could be.Thanks
Category: Urology
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.
HelloDo you have abdominal pain especially in the umbilical region?Any problems while passing urine ?Blood in urine ?Any other illness you have ?Please let me know.Dr.Tharun
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
nothing as of now
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am going to consult a urologist very soon. Few of my family Doctors suggested surgery.
I am ok for the surgery, however, i am more worried about any malignancy.
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.
Usually such a cystic swelling in the front of the urinary bladder is suggestive of urachal cyst. It is nothing but a residual tissue from the early embryological development days. There is connection present between the umbilicus and bladder while we grow inside our mother's womb. This hollow connection disappears after birth. Sometimes it is fails to do so. This may then remain as urachal cyst. It is a benign thing.Rarely it can develop malignancy later in lifeYou have to do a CT scan of the abdomen as well as a cystoscopy to confirm the diagnosis. If confirmed it has to be excised surgically which is s simple surgery.Such a small cyst rarely harbors malignancy.Cancer usually are bigger and causes blood in urine or abdominal pain. Never the less only final biopsy will shed more light on it.You don't have worry so much about it. Just go ahead with your urology consult who can order the tests. If confirmed it can be treated at the earliest.If you have any doubts or questions please let me know.Dr.Tharun
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The scan performed in Sep last year. Its been 6 months now. Is there any chance of further growing of cyst.
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.
It is difficult to say that. But since you are symptom free till now, chances are more that it is same.Dr.Tharun
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks much for information. Hope all will be fine.
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome. Take care.Dr.Tharun