DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

Is the catheter in an elderly lady ever clamped to strengthen

Customer Question

Is the catheter in an elderly lady ever clamped to strengthen her bladder?
Category: Urology
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
HelloIn fact there is evidence that clamping the catheter post operatively at dedicated intervals means that the catheter can come out sooner and the bladder works again faster.Yes, it is legit. OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My mother had her operation to remove her large intestine. Waited to be sent home, but detained for another week because they insisted she had care in place (even though I had moved in to support her). Then caught C.Diff, which she got over within few days. Was then Isolated because of diarrhoea (having a stoma-bag with no large intestine is like permanent diarrhoea anyway). Denied her requests to get out of bed for 3 weeks. Put nil-by-mouth for 2 weeks because of weak swallow, even though my mother insisted she didn't have a weak swallow. Her stoma-bag was left full on several occasions. She badly filled with fluid: I lifted her sheet to find the catheter clipped 6 inches below her vagina; the two nurses on duty told me they were measuring her flow; I felt something was not right; took 2 weeks to get meeting with Consultant - mother moved the same day. The nurses on new ward were disgusted how she had been treated; her lips were cracked and tongue coated with thick slime from lack of mouth care; filled with body fluid; couldn't stand as her leg muscles had deteriorated. Straight away she was back on eating and drinking and out of bed, and her body fluid disappeared - it's very strange that I had to put myself out to prove that my mother never ever had a weak swallow, and I'm convinced she was put on the Liverpool Care Pathway. This complete lack of care caused stress and infection, and my mother stayed in hospital for another month.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
Yes, this scenario is all too common.Did you have another question?I have not seen a positive rating on my last answer by the way, we are only paid per rating, nor for our time.Please do that, and let me know what else I can answer for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, the library computers have been down, so I've been unable to reply. I've really only asked part of the question, which as bothered me for 6 years. I can't really rate you at moment, because I feel the full question as not been answered. I've since been warned of this site, that it could cost me a lot of money without having a true answer. Regards John.