Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  Specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

I am 58 and post menopause. I went to the toilet this

i am 58 and post menopause. I went to the toilet this morning and was alarmed to see bright red blood on the toilet paper. I know this sounds awful but i had just had intercourse with my husband and had used a small amount of lubricant. I have been to doctors in the past with this type of thing and the doctor has put it down to atrophy but this was unexpected and bright red in colour almost as if i had cut myself. my husband has just had problems and been for a colonoscopy but he had a bowel polyp. We have been having a high fibre diet so we have been passing stools regularly .Should i be concerned? just for a little while i did experience a little like period pain but it soon passed.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
Was there blood in your urine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no just on the toilet paper. it was liked i had cut myself and it was liked i had wiped the blood on the paper
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
Have you had a hysterectomy? Have you had a recent PAP smear done? Was it normal?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no hysterectomy any recent tests were fine but not done for a while. I had a cystology in 2013 after invisible bleeding in urine that was fine
i have been back to doctors many times with slight spotting usually after intercourse . but this looked like i had pricked or cut myself and fresh blood as yet no other occurrence
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
a few years back after a bleed i had some kind of vaginal investigation but that was fine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this has all been post menopause
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
Without being able to examine your, I can't term and where the blood came from. However, if you did not see any blood in your urine, it is likely coming from either inside the vaginal vault or externally on the skin. If you don't see any cuts on the skin externally, then the only logical place would be from inside the vagina from intercourse. In this case, you need to get back into see your gynecologist to repeat pelvic examination and a Pap smear to see where the bleeding is coming from. It is likely just trauma from intercourse, but this is valuation needs to be performed again to make sure there is no signs of cancer in the vagina or cervix region. Hope this helps and let me know if you have questions.