Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  Specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

After many trips to my GP symptoms and urine

Hello,After many trips to my GP for UTI symptoms and urine samples coming back from the lab as negative, Finally aweek ago I had a cystoscopy. The urologist found that the Trigone looked inflamed so did biopsy and diathermy.
I am still in discomfort in fact urine still has blood in it a week later. Urine has been sent off for testing to rule out infection due to cystoscopy as I have also found that symptoms are worse since.
I Have been reading online about Trigonitis, I am still waiting for biopsy result but wondering if this is definitely what I will be diagnosed with, as the doctor did say the trigone looked inflamed. What is the prognosis with Trigonitis? Is it a permanent condition? what can I do to alleviate the symptoms. I was hoping to become pregnant this year but the discomfort of putting me off pregnancy.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 9 months ago.
Trigonitis is just a term that refers to inflammation of the area of a trigone. This information is typically due to infection. This is not a permanent condition. Your doctor just needs to figure out why you keep having these urine infections. Your symptoms are now worse because of the biopsy. The biopsy actually caused more information in the area of the trigone. This will get better over the next 4 to 6 weeks. You can try to take an anti-inflammatory such as ibuprofen to help decrease the inflammation. Your doctor can also prescribe a medication go oxybutynin if you're having severe bladder spasms. Hope this helps and let me know if you have questions.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have never had an infection the urine samples always come back negative, I just have the symptoms never infection .
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The doctor thought my symptomsare due to the trigone being inflamed but I have no been told what the cause is. That is why I am wonderin of Trigonitis can be a chronic condition
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 9 months ago.
Trigonitis is not a chronic condition. It sounds to me that your symptoms may be more along the lines of overactive bladder due to bladder spasms, rather than chronic infections. I would recommend your doctor consider trying you on a course of oxybutynin to see if this helps.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I will mention oxybutinin to my GP. .. can an overactive bladder cause inflammation of the trigone? As this was definitely seen in the cystoscopy.
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 9 months ago.
No. It is the other way around. The inflammation of the trigone can cause overactive bladder. Your doctor needs to figure out why you are having this inflammation
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Is there anything that can treat the inflammation directly. .. like steroids or , I don't think the urologists that carried out the cystoscopy could tell what was causing it.. but I really want to be free of this constant burning pain. Will the oxybutinin help with that? And will the biopsy help determinin what's causing it?
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 9 months ago.
Yes, the biopsy can help to determine what is causing the inflammation. The burning will go away on its own in the next several weeks once the biopsy area heels. The Oxybutynin will help with the bladder spasms.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hello again have been reading about ureaplasma type bacteria and wonder if this could be why I have had my symptoms for so long without ever finding infection in urine culture. Is this a possible cause of the inflammation found in the cystoscopy? If so would they be able to see this kind of bacteria in the biopsy they took? I am still waiting in the follow up consultation with the urologist... I am will to try doxycycline type antibiotics for a while to see if it helps, my husband also. I've had my problems of burning urethra and sometimes severe urgency and st time painful bladder on and off for a few years now. It's becoming unbareable.
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 9 months ago.
Ureaplasma can be detected on culture, however sometimes, it is difficult to grow the bacteria out. It is unlikely that Ureaplasma is the cause of your inflammation. You're just going to have to wait for the biopsies to see you want to underlying problem is. Hope this helps and please don't forget to leave me a rating. Thanks.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience: Specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.