Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  Specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

I have symptoms of low testosterone and I have

Customer Question

I have symptoms of low testosterone and I have for some time now. My serum testosterone came back as 12 nmol/l. I am a athletic 30 year old male, 75kg, and 181cm tall. From my research I see that I have the testosterone of a 90 year old!
Could you please advise me.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
Can you describe the symptoms that you're having? Do you take any medications? What time of the day was that lab value drawn?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for responding. I have no libido, no morning erections, no energy and a general sad/down outlook, poor sleep. My sport performance is also not very good - effort, strength and endurance all suffering. This has been going on for sometime now but seems to of gotten progressively worse.3/4 years ago I did use some prohormones which I suspect my body has never recovered from properly.I had a kidney infection in February which was treated with two courses of antibiotics.I don't take any medication and the blood was drawn at 11am.
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
Are you planning on having any children in the future?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a young son. We would like to in the near future yes. What are your thoughts/my options?
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
Sorry didn't realize you are in UK. I cannot call to UK from USA
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
It sounds like you need to be started on testosterone replacement therapy. However, if you're planning on having children in the future, this composer problem as testosterone therapy is essentially birth control for men. You will no longer produce sperm while you are on testosterone therapy.
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
Therefore, you need to prioritize what is most important to you at this point. If the potential for having children in the future is more important, then you need to see any fertility specialist to consider starting you on a medication such as, things a try to help improve your testosterone levels while your sperm counts are maintained. But this is not a long-term medication you should be on. If having children is not as important and your symptoms are more bothersome to you, Then you should see a urologist to consider starting you testosterone therapy.they should also check some additional levels such as LH, estradiol if you are overweight, and prolactin to see what the underlying cause of your low testosterone level is. Hope this helps and let me know if you have questions
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you think I am best seeing a urologist rather an endocrinologist?
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
Either Doctor should be able to manage this if they are trained properly. You should ask them whether or not they have experience in replacing testosterone in men who are still interested in having children in the future.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks. What medication can increase my testosterone whilst maintaining sperm count?
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
Clomiphene citrate as above
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is clomiphene citrate a short term fix or long term? I read about testosterone with HCG being a possibility?
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
Clomiphene and HCG are short term fixes while you try to have children. Testosterone is the long term fix for the low testosterone but this will make you infertile.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, thanks very much for all of your help. This is a long shot but I don't suppose you know of a consultant over here that you could recommend?
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
Sorry. I do not know any consultants over there
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My 17 beta oestradiol result came back as *<18.35 pmol/L with a range of 44-156 pmol/L. What could be the cause and how is it treated? My latest testosterone test came back as 14.87 pmol/L but 10 days ago that was 12 pmol/L. Both tests carried out at 11 am. Thanks
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
Your latest testosterone levl levl is in the normal range. This would mean that you do not need testosterone replacement. The low estradiol level is not concerning and doesn't need treatment.
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
You should see your primary doctor to screen you for depression and sleep apnea as these can cause symptoms identical to low testosterone also.