Dr. David
Dr. David, Physician Experienced in Urology
Experience:  Board Certified Physician with extensive experience in Urology
41363181

My husband had a colonoscopy following an abnormal bowel

My husband had a colonoscopy following an abnormal bowel screening test as a routine test that is done every 3 years after the age of 60 . he is 66 and has always had normal ones but he had seen blood on toilet paper and doctor said he had a small bleeding pile. The colonoscopy was done last month and they removed a bowel polyp which was not malignant and got the all clear. he now has to go for colonoscopies every 3 years as routine. However yesterday he strained to go to the toilet and told me there was a streak of blood on the paper. He has had no further episodes. Should he be worried again or would this be from straining. There is no pain or anything. He was surprised. He only had the colonoscopy last month .
Category: Urology
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He also had a cystoscopy not long ago which was fine. he doesn't smoke but suffers from acid reflux and is on omaprozole and a low statin.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. Davidafter straining with hard bowel movements, bleeding is most commonly from internal or external hemorrhoids bleeding.hemorrhoids are veins in the rectum and anus which can bleed after large hard bowel movements and straining.adding more fiber and or using stool softeners or laxatives and drinking more water can soften stools and make them easier to pass.his colonoscopy done last month didnt' show cancer so cancer would not be causing his bleeding at this point.he should not be worried about colon or rectal cancer causing his bleedinghave him work on eating more fruits and vegetables or prunes or using metamucil or laxatives to soften his stools.let me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/Thanks for using JustAnswers.com