Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience:  MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.
8708167

A query relating to gallstones please. 1. How important is

Customer Question

Hi a query relating to gallstones please.
1. How important is the gall bladder in the body?
2.Can gallstones be removed and leave gall bladder in situ?
3. Have been diagnosed 2011, one stone, minimum symptoms, just know its there at times,slightly tender spot. Recently having reflux/heartburn after eating, have weight around middle,cannot get rid of same. Would these symptoms be related to the gall bladder problem?thank you. P.S. you don't seem to have a surgical category!
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.

HI

Gall bladder as the name suggests is a storage organ like urinary bladder. iI stores bile which is originally produced by the liver. Bile is important for digesting food. Whenever we eat, the gall bladder contracts and empties the stored bile into the intestine which in turn helps in digesting the food material.

Healthy gall bladder cannot contain stones - so once stone is formed the gall bladder is diseased and not performing its intended function.The bile may not reach the intestine when required & this can cause indigestion , bloating and burping etc.

If only the gall stone is removed then the diseased gall bladder will again form stones or continue not to empty its bile adequately.

So removing the gall bladder with the stone remains the best treatment option now. It is one of the most commonly done surgical procedure presently.

It will never be back to the way the god made it, but symptoms generally subsides if it is due to the gall bladder. The bile from the liver starts directly emptying into the intestines and hence digestion is maintained.

Reflux heartburn may be due to gastritis which can be confirmed by doing an endoscopy. You can take medications like prilosec or nexium to see if it helps. If it doesn't then you can proceed with gall bladder surgery.

If you have any doubts , please let me know.

Dr.Tharun

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.

You are welcome.

DrTharun

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One last question what are the usual symptoms of diseased gall bladder, unless I had a scan I would not have known that I had a gallstone.
In your opinion is there any urgency for me to seek tohave gall bladder removed. Marie
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.

HI

It can completely asymptomatic.The usual symptoms are upper abdominal pain and discomfort, excessive gas formation,bloating, burping and flatulence.

If the stone slips into the bile duct it can cause severe pain and jaundice.Sometimes it can cause inflammation of the pancreas known as pancreatitis.

There is no urgency to remove it. It can be a planned elective procedure.

Dr.Tharun

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the information. Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you v much. I do not have any further questions. Marie
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.

Welcome