Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience:  MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.
8708167

I've had a problem with frequent peeing while now, and i'm

Hi my name is***** had a problem with frequent peeing for a while now, and i'm getting upset about it. I've been doing intense workout sessions for the last 2 months and frequently going to pee is starting to become really annoying. I used to have to wake up during the night to go, that is getting better. I've had medication prescribed as precautions for any possible UTI's, but all the tests come back negative, so i stopped them
It's not an infection, so i'm ruling out any serious problems related to that. I've got some discomfort and pain due to thrush in my groin, though, and i'm wondering if this is causing me to pee more. I have been given an anti fungal cream for the thrush and i'm trying my best to use it, but i'm becoming irritated by the pain in my groin. It cant possibly be a urine retraction issue, right? Just asking as i'm kind of un nerved by the whole thing. My doctor said if it continued, i'd need to see a Urologist, so I figured asking here wouldn't hurt. Can you please help me? I'm kind of embarrased by the whole thing, and would like to talk to someone in confidence.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 12 months ago.

HI

Do you have medical illness?

Do you drink lot of caffeinated or aerated drinks?

Do you have anxiety issues ?

What happens if you hold back urinating when you feel the urge ?

Have you tried any bladder anti - cholinergic like vesicare etc ?

Please let me know.

Dr.Tharun

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Hi, Dr Tharun, I have cerebral palsy, it's been since birth. and a slight spinal problem, but it is not major either at the moment, had it for ages. The urination thing is fairly recent within the last 2 months of an intense work out program in the hospital gym. I do drink some caffeine drinks like coffee, but i'm trying to cut back. Right now I'm feeling pretty uptight, anxiety might have something to do with it, i'm not too sure. When i hold in urine It can get painful, but not that quickly. can go for hours, 3-4 max. I've not tried any anti cholinergic stuff, not even sure what that means, as well as aerated drinks. Is that like fizzy juice?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
If this helps, i sometimes get a thrush rash in hot weather, or if i sweat a lot, my groin area gets inflamed and sore due to that.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Can I also ask where you are based? I'm curious about online chats with doctors, not used to doing this kind of thing, but I dont want to bug my parents or anyone else about this ongoing issue, which is why I'd rather talk about it with a doctor on the net, such as yourself. Thanks for taking time to answer me, hope you can help me out

HI

When you cannot find a definite cause for your urination symptoms , there is an entity called as Overactive Bladder which comes into picture.

This condition makes the bladder oversensitive to small amounts of urine; making you feel like going to urinate every now and then.

This can be triggered by stress, anxiety and for all that we know without any reason sometimes.

This can be temporary issue which can resolve of its own or long term one. In the mean time we have to take medications to keep the symptoms at bay, hoping it will settle.

Your CP and spinal problem can contribute to this problem , which is all together a different issue known as neurogenic bladder. Ultimately it is the brain through the spinal cord which controls the bladder and decide how the bladder behaves. So any issues in these regions can affect the bladder function too.

You should cut down on tea/coffee/juices/carbonated drinks which can act as bladder irritant in these situations.Avoid spicy foods.I assume you don't smoke which should be the kept that way.

Avoid alcohol too.

If it still persists you should be put on medications to control the bladder activity - vesicare or detrusitol are the most commonly prescribed. These are prescription medications. You have see your doctor to get these.Skin issues rarely affect the urination cycle.

If you have any questions , please let me know.

Dr.Tharun

I am based in India.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Right, thats something that I've been pondering regarding over active bladder, and I do enjoy spicy food like curry and chilli, though i've not ate any of that for about a week. Is that a contributing factor? I'm also not drinking any carbonated drinks like Soda, i tend to drink milkshake and fruit juice a lot more. Should I try talking to my doctor again regarding this? They said they could refer me to a Urologist, but i figured talking to one interdependently first was a good idea. I think you might have found the issue, it does feel over active. Without medication, is there anything else I can do to help this get better including what you mentioned?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Also, I like drinking a beer or two with friends, but not on a regular basis, and you were right, I don't smoke at all
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Can I also add in that i'm taking Buscopan to stop symptoms of possible IBS? A doctor at hospital gave me them a couple of days ago, they seem to help it too.

Any high solute fluid like juices,spicy curries, beer will act as a diuretic and require more water to excrete it out. This can in turn increase the urine production as well as the bladder irritancy. so it is better to avoid when you have this problem.

Then there is will power to overpower the urge to void. When ever you feel the urge try holding it for small amount of periods.Gradually increase the time intervals according to your convenience.

Pelvic exercises can also give more time to hold the urine.

Dr.Tharun

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Right, if this helps I went at 3pm, then just as i'm talking to you i went again. The pain is fading slowly, should I just stick to drinks like milk, and water? I'm also going a little longer between voiding, or trying to anyway. What should i do next?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Also i'm getting a visit weekly from a personal trainer, she was here today and we did some light stretching, should i ask her about the pelvic idea you mentioned?

Pelvic muscle strengthening exercises can be great help in such situations.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
right, thanks for your time. i need to go. see you

you are welcome.