Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

Is an 'inordinate' proliferation of epithelial tissue in the

Is an 'inordinate' proliferation of epithelial tissue in the urine/bladder indicative of an infection? I have been diagnosed as having interstitial cystitis (IC) and currently have a supra-pubic catheter in situ for two years. The leg bag and overnight bag confirm their presence; I have had instances like this before and have taken anti-biotics on the understanding that this is an infection? Generally IC does not produce a bacterial infection associated with NSU.
I am male aged 76 and one of the 10% that has inherited this predominantly female condition.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear about your problem.

The "inordinate" proliferation of epithelial tissue does not necessarily mean that there is an infection.

For an infection we require multiple white blood cells in the urine, positive nitrite test, and preferably a positive urine culture report.

If this is not the case, then this is unlikely to be an infection.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end and then submitting your rating as that is the only way I am credited on here for helping you out.

Kindest regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was expecting a more in-depth response to my question; for this reason I am not really satisfied with the brevity of the reply.I therefore consider the £42 offer too high -- especially as I was unable to see the response prior to payment). Even more upsetting was the fact that I received an initial reply after 48/72 hours saying Just Answer was unable to find someone to respond. Then after four days I suddenly receive this 'brief' answer given the information I supplied. I was au fait with the facts you gave and was looking for more substantial' information.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry that the response was not to your expectation.

This session is open for any number of further questions until you are satisfied.

This was only the initial response of the many responses.

So you can continue asking until you are fully satisfied.

Can you please let me know which portion you would like me to explain further.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is an enormous amount of informed opinion and literature about IC; about SPC's; about UTI's. Despite that wealth of information I was expecting some aspect of what I posited to you, namely excess endothelial tissue,to point towards something more specific. Although you cannot second guess the procedures to which I have been subject, I would have thought on supposition alone that after two years with an SPC in-situ, you would know I must have undergone the relevant 'examinations' and also that I would therefore have experienced the same issues in the past. The question therefore remains why the excess or excessive proliferation of epithelial tissue? To which I still have no answer. Antibiotics would seem to alleviate the problem but given the seeming default pattern that arises every time I am of the opinion that the excess results from another 'unknown' issue?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your detailed response.

Actually the excessive proliferation of the epithelial tissue is something that happens very commonly in people who have a suprapubic catheter in for such a long period of time.

This is usually due to the irritation that is caused by the catheter which leads to proliferation of the epithelial tissue in the urinary bladder.

This usually does not indicate infection.

However, if there is a superadded infection as well, that can cause more epithelial cell proliferation.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I surmised this also as I am aware of the irritation (a foreign body) caused by the catheter. I suspect, rightly or wrongly, that owing to the non-functioning of my bladder -- I am on constant open drainage -- it may have atrophied? Anyway I shall be seeing the consultant next week for a VCMG (though I doubt he will be able to perform the procedure as I cannot tolerate any bladder filling). At a previous attempt at CMG failed because of my inability to tolerate this. Long story of a complex problem; was hoping for stem cell procedures but this seems to be virtually impossible? Anyway thanks for your input. How do I ensure you receive the fee of £34?