Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience:  MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.
8708167

I'm a paediatric physiotherapist based in London. I'm

Hi , my name is ***** ***** I'm a paediatric physiotherapist based in London . I'm writing regarding my close relative , who has been diagnosed with triloculated exophytic clear cortical renal cyst ( large measuring 10.7 x 6.6 cm in mid and lower pole) . She is over 90. ( Mild BP ) . Is there a possibility of sclerotherapy or laparoscopic surgery in her ? Please do reply .
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 11 months ago.

hi

Is the cyst causing any symptoms like pain , hematuria or infection?

Is she healthy for her age ?

Please let me know.

Dr.Tharun

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
She has pain but she hasn't cleared her bowel for the past 2 1/2 days , hence I'm not sure if the pain is due to constipation .She has been given a laxative .She is otherwise healthy .

HI

Cysts are less likely to cause severe symptoms unless they become very big. 10.7 is on the border. Neither very big nor very small.

But I would think twice before intervening for a cyst in 92 year old. There is no clear indication to intervene in a cyst even for younger individuals. So we have to tread carefully. Keep it as a last resort if at all.

So try to clear up her bowels and see if it gets rid of the pain.

If she is fit for laparoscopic surgery or not will be decided by the anesthetist and physician after evaluating her thoroughly. Laparoscopic is the best option to take care of a renal cyst. It has minimal morbidity and recurrence rates.Sclerotherapy may not be an ideal procedure nevertheless can be tried considering her age.

The most important factor is that she has to agree for a procedure.

I hope this helps you

Dr.Tharun

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
That's of great relief Dr Tharun ! Thank you very much . Is there any suggestion to clear her bowels ? The doctors have given her 1 tablet of enema .
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The scan reports for your reference.
If the cyst ruptures what should be our immediate action ?

HI

You are welcome.Cysts ruptures are practically unseen unless involved in a high velocity accidents.

She take any of the laxatives like milk of magnesia , lactulose or ispaghula husk. '

Dr.Tharun

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks again . So I assume no immediate intervention required . One last question is there any chance of it to grow so rapidly that it would block the renal function .

Cysts are slow growing and exophytic which means it hardly ever compresses the renal parenchyma to affect its function.They merely displace the kidney to a different position.Only if there is bleeding in the cyst it can grow rapidly otherwise they are very slow growing.

Dr.Tharun

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you very much Dr Tharun . It was a great pleasure discussing this with you . Have a great evening.

Thank you and take care.