Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience:  MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.
8708167

I have a really embarrassing problem... Every day for the

Hi, I have a really embarrassing problem... Every day for the last few years I have been finding my knickers get wet within hours of me putting fresh ones on. I wonder if it is normal discharge as its not lumpy or excessively thick although my knickers do smell by the end of the day. I also wonder if it is sweat as the crotch area of my knickers also gets damp. Or could it be incontinence? I am very overweight. I don't think I have an infection as it is now a long term problem and have no assassociated symptoms such as painful. I am wearing sanitary towels 24/7 to avoid my knickers and trousers getting wet but at age 25 am finding this problem embarrassing and distressing. I am too self conscious to visit my gp and definitely don't want a physical examination so any advice or suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
Category: Urology
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Just wondering how long roughly it takes for an answer?... Don't know whether to wait up or whether I should check back in the morning? Thanks
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Also I have been on a range of different medications for my mental health over the last few years. Don't know if they have contributed/complicated the situation? Thanks
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Have you forgotten me???
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 9 months ago.

Does the wet undergarments smell of urine ?

Do you think the problem occurs when you feel like passing urine ?

Any redness or itching in the region?

How are the menstrual periods?

Any vaginal or cervix infection ?

Please let me know.

Dr.Tharun

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi thanks for your reply.
I think they probably do smell a bit of urine by the end of the day yes.
It seems to happen throughout the day not just when I need the toilet. I sometimes notice the sensation of wetness but sometimes am not even aware of it apart from the damp clothes.
I occasionally get a bit of itching but nothing notable I wouldn't say.
menstrual periods are fine and no infection that I am aware of.
hope that all helps.
thanks for your time.

Have you undergone any surgeries before ?

can you hold back the urine once the sensation to urinate starts ?

Any pain while passing urine ?

Dr.Tharun

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Not had any related surgeries no.
And yes I can hold it even when I need to go.
no pain or discomfort no.

HI

If it is urine there are two possibilities how it can leak - one is overflow incontinence - in this case the bladder is always filled with urine and when the volume of the urine exceeds the volume of the bladder - there is leakage of the excess urine. This occurs without the knowledge of the person depending up on the water intake and urine production.

Second is leakage of the urine through an abnormal pathway. There may be connection between the urinary system and vagina or the uterus. In such case the urine from the either ureter or the bladder escapes through the connection into the vagina or the uterus -which eventually leaks outside like menstruation.

Only a clinical exam and imaging scans will confirm the diagnosis of this kind of leaks.

Vaginal discharge can also cause this but will never smell of urine.

As you suspect it could be excessive sweating too.

What ever a problem might be,it is never embarrassing to see a doctor to discuss your problems.It could be a medical issue which needs prompt attention.So earlier the better.

You can use talc powders and antiperspirant to see if it helps.

But the best way out of this situation would be to see a doctor as early as possible.

If you have any more questions ,please let me know.

Dr.Tharun

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
If it is due to leakage through an abnormal pathway, does this cause any problems other than the wetness I am experiencing? I.e. is it important that it is treated or are conservative methods of managing like using sanitary towels as I'm doing at the moment, as good a way as any?
Thanks for your advice

If it is leak from an abnormal pathway it should be treated. It can be done on elective basis if there are no disturbing symptoms.

It can cause urinary infections, damage to the kidneys or damage to genital region due to constant contact with urine.SO it is better to seek treatment if it is the cause for the symptoms.

Dr.Tharun

Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience: MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok thank you