Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  Specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

I've had a supra pubic catheter inserted for two years due

Customer Question

I've had a supra pubic catheter inserted for two years due to a spinal stroke. I have constant urges to pass urine, burning sensations and spasms 24/7. I have had Botox inserted into my bladder which as helped the spasms but the other symptoms are just as bad. I cannot use a leg or body bag as I have neurophy in my legs and body and can't bear the straps or bags touching my skin. Is there anything else that can be done, I've heard something being inserted into either your bladder or bowel which controls the incontinence and you just switch on and off.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

http://www.malecontinence.com/your-treatment-choices/ams-800-urinary-control-system.html

there is an artificial urinary sphincter which can be used. but these are for patients who have had prostate surgery and can control their urine

have you tried overactive bladder medications like vesicare or detrol to see if they help?

there is no artifical urostomy sphincter yet to control urine coming out of a suprapubic catheter.

but you can put a clamp on your suprapubic catheter and release it when you need to urinate.