Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I have very diagnosed after culture test with a colonisation

I have very diagnosed after culture test with a colonisation of over 100k of klebsiella pneumonia in the bladder...minor symptoms but developed a temperature two days ago...plus a viral upper respiratory infection
I have been advised to take cipro for 5-7 days but I think I only need 3 days at 500mg every 12 hours...it's a really heavy antibiotic send I feel bad either it
Category: Urology
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will a urologist answer or do I need to cancell this question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

Hi there.
I will be helping you out with your concerns today.

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the late response.

Would you like me to help you out with your question?

Please let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you advise me about how best to manage my klebsiella pneumonae kidney infection...and answer my urology questions?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

The best antibiotic would depend on the result of the culture i.e. the same report which stated that you have klebsiella pneumoniae. I am pretty sure that the doctor who started the ciprofloxacin was based on the culture report.

At least one week course of ciprofloxacin was required as far as I am concerned.

This session is open for any number of further questions that you may have.
Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end as that is the only way I am credited on here for helping you out.
Kindest regards

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

If you have any specific urology question that was unanswered, please post the question again as I may have missed it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Today I started getting a temperature...it is day two of treatment....us it normal to continue to have a temperature even if I am on antibiotics
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

You need to give at least 3 days for the antibiotic to work i.e. 6 doses of ciprofloxacin after which if your symptoms have not improved, then we can consider changing your antibiotic.

Kindest regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also gave a head cold ..doc said it looks like a virus in my throat but could it be that the klebsiella has travelled?...how do I know if it has turned into sepsis
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If cipro is considered the best antibiotic how is it possible that it does not work?... Also I have no back pain only a bit of a temperature now and again....so is my kidney infection mild?...also can I exercise whilst on antibiotics....what about side effects....I read cipro has a whole list of these?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

It is very unlikely for klebsiella to have traveled to the throat to cause a throat infection.

If you had sepsis your condition would be much worse and you would not have been able to communicate with me on here and would be in the emergency.

Sepsis causes severe symptoms such as a high grade fever, may cause drowsiness, chills among other symptoms.

A bacterial can be resistant to one of the best antibiotics around. So the best antibiotic would vary from one bug to another depending on if there is any resistance of the bug to the antibiotic or no.

Your infection seems to be mild.

Usually cipro does not cause any side effects and whatever side effects there are, are very mild.

Rarely does it cause any significant side effects.

Sorry for the late response.

Kindest regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you think it's safe for 12 hour air travel whilst on the antibiotics as I need to go from spain to America and what if my urine test still shows klebsiella bacteria after one week...do I need to continue the antibiotic
Alternatively if my urine test tomorrow shows no more klebsiella bacteria can I stop the antibiotics straight away
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

Yes a 12 hour flight is fine while on antibiotic.

After one week the urine should be clear of klebsiella.

You have to take the antibiotic for at least five to seven days even if the test does not grown any bug.

Kindest regards

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One last question....throughout all this I have had no back pain or pain on urination only a slight discomfort in the bladder/vagina when the urine builds up...The urine is not cloudy, bloody or bad smelling...I have had a very mild temperature lasting a few minutes on and off for a few days in the last ten days but I am still able to exercise and drive....only have slight weakness...so my feeling is that it must be a very mild kidney infection even though I have a colony of over 100k klebsiella in urine culture ...so do I still need 7 days of antibiotics...I would prefer to do 3 days and check the urine culture again before continuing antibiotics but that would be a two day break as the culture grows...do you think that's too dangerous?