Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS. FCPS (R) General Surgery and Traumatology. 5 years experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

My Dad has had a robotic cystectomy for bladder cancer and

Customer Question

My Dad has had a robotic cystectomy for bladder cancer and had his prostate and bladder taken out. Post op he was in a lot of pain, swollen tummy, pains and was diagnosed with a twisted intestine. He was taken back into theatre.
3 days post op he has still not passed gas or bowel movement. He is on a feeding drip and a tube down his throat. Doctors say it is quite common for the bowels to take a while to work again. He has a temporary colostomy (two bags one for bladder which he will have forever now and a temporary one for bowels, they say 6 months). He is 72 and fit otherwise but obviously is getting fed up as he is being sick and not on proper food yet.
Can you recommend anything that he can take for his to pass gas and get bowels working ie prune juice or anything that he can get done by nurses/doctors or certain medicines that he can take. He has been advised to just drink water and juice (non fizzy) and is getting out of bed a little bit each day but finds this very hard.
Please help, just want to know how many days could this go on for?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 month ago.

Yes, post operative illeus is common after abdominal surgeries. It will get better by day 4. I would recommend him to chew a gum as it helps in stimulating bowel. Another option is metoclopramide which is a prokinetic and you can discuss giving this drug with the treating doctor. But it should not be used for more than 2 to 3 days. The most effective option is mobility as he increases his mobility the bowel will start working.

Hope this helps.

Please do leave a positive rating for the service by clicking on the stars on top of the screen.

Best wishes.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 month ago.

Please let me know if you have followup questions.