Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General Practice
Experience:  Years of experience with general surgery and urgent care
18722459

Why is it that whenever I am anxious or stressed I seem to

Hi. Why is it that whenever I am anxious or stressed I seem to have chronic tension and aching on my anus and lower back???? Had this on and off for 9 or so years and have had thousands of tests and nothing has been found. It goes away when I sleep. It can go away for weeks at a time and come back again for a week or so. No constipation or blood etc
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 months ago.

Hello I'm Dr Chip

What tests have you had?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Rectal examinations. Many proctoscope tests and a pelvic mri scan. Also saw a pelvic floor physio therapist
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 months ago.

And how long does it last?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It's pretty much constant all day. And can last for a few days
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
But if I am distracted or even after a few beers it eases of and can go away completely. At least until the next time I think about it
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 months ago.

Can you please tell me more about what happens?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Basically I have a sort of dull ache or pressure sensation in my anus and lower back. I can feel tension there. A pelvic floor therapist found a very tense muscle when they did an internal exam and when they pressed on it my symptoms were replicated. Sometimes having a bowel movement or passing gas can feel like relief for a while. But I am so obsessed with this problem which makes it worse. Like I say I can be feeling fine with no problems but as soon as it comes into my head I feel it coming on again.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 months ago.

Was the term proctalgia fugax ever mentioned to you?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
it was. A colorectal surgeon said that's what it was. But I thought it was just very sharp stabbing pains??? I suffer from huge anxiety which is where this comes from I believe. I used to be affraid of cancer or prolapse or infection but all that was ruled out. And i guess after 9 years it would be quite pronounced by now haha. And it would go away for a while
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 months ago.

Did you ever get any treatment for it?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'm on sertraline. But was told I need to stop the obsession and constant googling.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
A colorectal surgeon said that as soon as I break the patterns it will go away. And i have had about 9 months without it. I was so happy but I hurt my back and felt a little twinge in my anus and I freaked out thinking oh my god it's back
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Does it sound like proctalgia fugax?? I was told it's pelvic floor tension
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Or levator ani syndrome
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Either way it doesn't sound like anything nasty does It???
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 months ago.

It sounds more like levator ani syndrome but it's absolutely nothing nasty

Not cancer or anything like that

But I do think it becomes more of a problem for you because of your anxiety and obsessing on it

But I think in time it'll stop being a problem for you

Please let me know if you need any more information

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
How does anxiety cause this issue??? Is it just purely tension? And like I say serious problems don't go away and come back
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 months ago.

Purely tension causing the pelvic muscle spasms

And you're right--serious problems don't come and go like that

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I really wish I could stop the over thinking. I need to quit googling for answers when I know them deep down. I have started using voltarol gel around my tailbone area which seems to help. I also take fibre supplements
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 months ago.

The voltaren will help

Please click on the 5 star excellent rating icon so I can get credit for my time with you