Dr. David
Dr. David, Physician Experienced in Urology
Experience:  Board Certified Physician with extensive experience in Urology
41363181

Blood tests over the last 11 months have shown I have been

Blood tests over the last 11 months have shown I have been having steadily reducing eGFR and steadily rising creatinine levels.. I thought I was drinking plenty of water, but obviously not enough it seems..I am 53 yr old female (in UK), not overweight. My Creatinine on my last blood test (2 weeks ago) was 115, and my eGFR 43. My Doctor has referred me to a renal unit for further tests. In the meantime, she recommends drinking 6- 8 glasses of water a day.I am now doing this VERY seriously now, and I usually manage 8 or 9 glasses a day, so about 2 litres a day. -However, I have only started this increased drinking for 5 days - my next blood test is today.Is just 5 days of increased drinking enough to show any improvement in my eGFR and Creatine levels on today's blood test?I'm scared the results might get worse or just stay the same, despite my 5 days of serious extra drinking!Thank you
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr.Saleem replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to JA. Dr Saleem here. Will be answering you shortly

Expert:  Dr.Saleem replied 1 month ago.

So your GP advised you to increase your fluid intake?

I seriously doubt the logic in that as its based on common misconceptions like increasing the plasma volume would benefit the kidneys or help recover from damage already done.

Increased water intake only benefits where there is sudden onset short duration kidney damage due to insufficient kidneys perfusion such as in dehydration ( severe diarrhea, heat exhaustion, burns etc).

The underlying cause of renal derangement should be identified rather then just focusing on water intake.

Do you have any other medical conditions such as diabetes, high blood pressure , ? What was the cause ,if you had been told about it or not?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The cause is not yet known, that's why my doc has referred me to a renal unit for further tests. Don't have high BP identified as yet, avaerages about 126/82 or therabouts.Last blood test also said I have borderline anaemia, also I may have RA (43), & increased inflammation levels
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
also - no i don't have diabetes
Expert:  Dr.Saleem replied 1 month ago.

While RA in itself can lead to kidney disease ,your exact diagnosis would probably require a biopsy- taking sample out of your kidney with a needle.

Another common causes esp amongst women is recurrent uti leading to pyelonephritis which can cause chronic kidney disease.

So nothing much would change as far as these numbers are concerned just over 5 days.

It will need further evaluation with more specific tests as i mentioned that will guide us towards appropriate treatment.

I hooe your query is adequately addressed.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Do the gradually reducing eGFR numbers actually prove there is kidney damage though? I thought it was just an estimateApparently the renal unit tests will be more blood and urine tests, no mention of biopsy!! - you got me scared!!
Expert:  Dr.Saleem replied 1 month ago.

If there is no cause on blood and urine work or no history of diabetes, high blood pressure or recurrent uti then i am afraid biopsy would be needed.

eGFR definitely tells us about the kidney functions and a low eGFR as you have is quite significant for further work up.

Expert:  Dr.Saleem replied 1 month ago.

Biopsy gives you definitive diagnosis. Dont need to be scared as its a short procedure, they numb the area before doing it so you wont feel anything. I would do it if you came to me.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Appreciate the answer, but a 24 hour urine test has been suggested first..Sorry but I'm a bit unsatisfied in that I did request a urologist for my question, and your speciality appears to be cardiology. Last week I asked for a Nephrologist which I didn't get either...
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I could have paid less if i'd wanted a slower response.. I would appreciate knowing if there is a urologist re-reviewing my question - is anyone out there please?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 month ago.

This is Dr. David

you don't need a kidney biopsy at this point

you should keep drinking water.

yes, 5 days is enough to show improvement

I'm proud of you drinking more water now.

let me know if you have questions.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
You are a star!! Thank you doc David!
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 month ago.

you are welcome

keep drinking that water

I'm glad you know what an estimated eGFR is

yes, the first step is a 24 hour urine collection.

let me know if you have other questions.
if done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback
you may have to scroll up or down to see the ratings area
you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions
here is my website if you need to reach me:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Experience: Board Certified Physician with extensive experience in Urology
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you doc. I feel a lot better for talking to you