Dr. David
Dr. David, Physician Experienced in Urology
Experience:  Board Certified Physician with extensive experience in Urology
41363181

I've recently increased the amount of water I drink to at

I've recently increased the amount of water I drink to at least 8 glasses of water a day, in order to get my kidney levels back to normal. I've been drinking at least 2 litres water a day for about 10 days now. (I've never drunk this much before)I urinate very frequently (not surprising!) I seem to fill up quickly, but I always have done.A couple of days ago, I started feeling a pain in my bladder area - it feels like the painful ache you get when it's been really full for a long time, and you still feel the pain after urinating. That seems to be the pain that seems to be with me all the time now for some reason.I'm aware of the pain/ ache pretty much all the time now, when walking, if i cough, laugh ,sit heavily... It feels like a strained muscle sort of pain, but in the bladder?I've slowed down a bit on drinking the water, trying not to pack in too much too quickly during the day, in case that might be aggravating the bladder? - (I've been getting in 5 glasses before midday for the last 9 days or so, but today I've only drunk 4 glasses and it's nearly 6pm - I thought slowing down a bit might help?)I've got an appointment to see my doctor in a couple of days, but it seems to be getting a bit more painful, and i'm getting worried. I'm always a very anxious and stressed person.I'm 53 yr old female. No blood in urine, it doesn't hurt when I urinate.Any idea what this could be please?
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 months ago.

This is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

drinking caffeine can cause irritation of your bladder

you drinking more fluids can cause more stretching of your bladder which can cause some discomfort in your pelvis.

this is normal and not a bad thing

that is good you are working towards drinking more water and fluids to help your kidneys

this is good for your kidneys

bad anxiety can cause you to focus on symptoms and make you worried about them.

I would not be stressed. keep drinking your water and fluids

cutting down to 4 in the AM is fine

let me know if you have questions

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks for quick replyWhen you say discomfort in the pelvis? - I've only got the pain in the bladder

that is most likely from stretching of your bladder from you drinking more water and fluids.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
that's what it feels like, like it's been stretched!

this can happen when you drink more water and fluids.

it will get better with time as your bladder gets use to you drinking more water and fluids.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks for that - So it's like exercising a muscle.. !Should I still continue to pack in 8+ glasses water a day now the levels are returned to normal, or can I reduce a bit?

it is sort of like stretching a muscle.

I would do 7-8 glasses of water a day and continue with that because that is good for your body and your kidneys.

you should improve your diet and do some regular exercise as well

let me know if you have other questions.
if done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback
you may have to scroll up or down to see the ratings area
you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions
here is my website if you need to reach me:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
it's normal for it to continue aching all the time at the moment then
- Do you think it'll be very long before this pain eases a bit?I'm finding it difficult/ uncomfortable to doing my job, which involves walking around for an hour!

everyone is different

I bet it will get better in 1-2 weeks or so.

you may have to find ways to go to the bathroom more frequently

or you may have to cut down on water intake in the mornings if you can't get to the bathrooms frequently in the morning

if you can get to the bathroom more frequently in the afternoons, you can drink more then.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What an uncomfortable pain it is! - but I feel better now, knowing what it is - Thank you !
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
sorry, - i forgot to add, I also feel the pain when I've not got a full bladder, even straight after i've urinated

this can also be due to prior stretching of the bladder

it will get better with more time.

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
thanks - so that explains why the pain stays there. - its' painful all the time now, it never eases now, its increasing-am looking forward to it finally easing off!

if you have pain and need to drink more water, you can try taking some over the counter Azo which contrain Pyridium or pyridostigamine which can help numb up your bladder and decrease your pain

this is sold over the counter and can turn your urine a bit orange but is safe to help decrease bladder pain if you need to continue to drink 9-10 glasses of water per day to help your kidneys.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you very much for all the info !Just to clarify, - it's not unusual then to feel this pain constantly through the day and night - until it eventually eases off

that is correct.

it is not unusual to have the pain because you are drinking more water and stretching your bladder because you are not able to urinate frequently in the morning

try the pyridium or Azo which can help

you can also cut down on your water in the AM to 3 glasses if you can't urinate frequently in the morning.

you can try to drink more in the afternoon

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
To be honest, I'm at home nearly all of the day, and I urinate non stop about every 20 minsI only go out for an hour to work, so I never hold it in my bladder for too long, only at night

I see

that is good

try the Azo which could help

keep drinking the water for your kidneys

your bladder could take more time to get use to the stretching.

but it will get there.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I will do that - i'm very grateful for your patience and adviceYou're brilliant, -your help is much appreciated

thanks for that

thanks for using JustAnswer.com