Dr. David
Dr. David, Physician Experienced in Urology
Experience:  Board Certified Physician with extensive experience in Urology
41363181

I have this ache in my back passage. It is pretty constant

Customer Question

I have this ache in my back passage. It is pretty constant but it’s can have weeks without it. It has been diagnosed as a stress related sort of tension. I don’t really know much about this problem. Do you have any advise or can you explain what is actually happening to me??? I have this ache about a few inches in my anus at the back. It wears off when I’m asleep or even had a few beers. Sorry can relate it to one. I can feel like I need to defecate sometimes and the TVs like my muscles are trying to hold it in
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 month ago.

This is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry you have this sort of stress related tension causing aches and pains in your anus area

you could have a condition called Levator ani syndrome which is a condition causing random, painful episodes in the rectum and anus. it can cause episodic rectal pain caused by spasm of the levator ani muscle

do you have bad anxiety symptoms? bad anxiety symptoms can sometimes cause you to tense up pelvic muscles and cause them to spasms.

sometimes therapy like biofeedback therapy can help patients relax the muscle in the anal canal

also avoiding constipation, eating more fruits and vegetables and fiber can help soften stools and make bowel movements easier

let me know if you have questions.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Can levator ani syndrome last for weeks at a time and then go away for a few weeks? I worry I have a serious problem
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Why can I have it for weeks at a time and then it goes away for a while
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is it a sort of habit do you think??? I’m not really stressed at the moment but when I have this issue I cannot think about anything else. But every time I’m just carry on with life and it tends to get better or even go away completely. I have always had a nervous stomach. I feel I need t go sometimes when I don’t. Could my brain be tensing up down there to stop me from going??? I keep thinking I have a rectal intussusception or infection or even cancer. Am not right in thinking that if I had intussusception I would not be able to defecate???? Sorry also have tremendous lower back ache sometimes
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 month ago.

it can be a bad habit if you continue to contract your anal muscles.

if your attention and focus is down there in your anal canal, yes you could be tensing up your anal canal muscles causing these symptoms.

you may benefit from talking to a psychotherapist about these symptoms.

if you have bad anxiety symptoms, you may need treatments to decrease anxiety symptoms.

you don't have intussusception.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I’m not even aware That I’m tending these muscles. Surely it must show the problem is psychological. The fact it goes away when I’m happier and distracted. Surely it would be constant if it was something nasty. Someone said it could be a nerve damage or bulging back disc?????
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 month ago.

the problem could be partially psychological

that is why I suggested you see a psychotherapist and your GP doctor.

if you had nerve damage or bulging disk, you would have the symptoms all the time

you don't have anything serious or "nasty" in the area

Let me know if you have other questions.
If done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today.
We only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback. (You may have to scroll up or down to see the ratings area)
You can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions.
Here is my website if you need to reach me:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have had mri scan and many rectal checks and blood tests. All is well apart from a tight muscle which was found by a pelvic floor therapist. When they pressed on it my symptoms were made worse
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 month ago.

does the pelvic floor therapist do biofeedback therapy to help you lean to relax your pelvic floor muscles?

that could help.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
They said it was more for bowel control. The problem I have is nothing to fear is it????
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
They teach internal self massage which I do when it is really bad
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 month ago.

no, the problem you have is nothing to fear

you are showing lots of symptoms of bad anxiety symptoms.

you don't have to worry.

that is good that internal self massage is helpful

you should also try some yoga and deep breathing as well

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com